Sunday, June 24, 2018

Sunday 6 24 18 morning call

Attempt n.5 at SUP foiling downwinding for me yesterday and I finally saw some light at the end of the tunnel. The thing is still incredibly challenging, but I finally had a sustained flight of what seemed like 10s (which means it was probably 5s) and I actually covered some ground. I took off next to a friend and when I came back down she was a good 30 yards behind me. As little as that might sound, that had a special "I can actually do this!" meaning. Going again today no doubt, so many things to still figure out!

The beauty of this discipline (at least so far for me), relies in the challenge. From a strict foiling point of view, it's not more fun that foiling on a proper wave and it's a hell lot of more work than that, but it's so hard that when you get it flying it's just magic. Can't wait to learn how to cover more distance and can't wait to eventually one day be able to use a smaller/faster foil. Trigger fingers crossed. They're not 100% yet and they can flare up again any time, since I keep using them instead of resting.

I'm still so excited about those 10 seconds that I wanted to post a SUP foiling video, but I'll spare you that (for now) and propose you this one that many might have seen already on the social media. Quite unreal ride, 1 minute 55 seconds long. Despite the sandy bottom, that wave is really heavy. Check out the gopro mouth mount video too if you got time.


A sunny and windy day blessed the Maui Race Series at Kanaha yesterday, here's a shot by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore

Barbers
0.7ft @ 18s from 206° (SSW)
0.6ft @ 11s from 182° (S)
 
More slivers of southerly energy at Barbers, I wouldn't get too excited about it, as the observation of the Ala Moana webcam (I added the link to the webcam list) doesn't show much at all. Hang in there, a couple of more days and we should have some decent waves.

North shore
Pauwela
5.3ft @ 8s from 84° (E)
 
Some bumpy bumps on the north shore and for the first time in more than 10 years, I'm actually excited about a strong wind forecast.

Wind map at noon.
 
 
North Pacific only has windswell.
 
A pretty decent fetch in the Tasman Sea is unfortunately partially blocked by New Zealand. I circled in red the weaker part that is not and in black the stronger part that is.
 
Morning sky.

No comments: