Friday, January 18, 2019

Friday 1 18 19 morning call

Two shortboard sessions for me yesterday. As reported, the first one had excellent conditions until the Kona got stronger. The thing with the moderate/strong Kona is that it makes the waves look even better from the beach (more open barrels, if anything), but it's not as good in the water (at least with my skills). Here's a shot from my best wave of the second session. You might think I should be slowing down more, but what you can't see is the fast section I have down the line. So it's either:
1) get barreled, get a killer shot, get pounded or
2) don't get barreled, get a decent shot, don't get pounded and make the whole wave.
Fortunately, I acted completely by instinct made the whole wave unscathed.


And here's a fast runner. There were a lot of them.


Here's some photos I took after my sessions, around 3pm. Got blessed with some sun light. The light with the Kona is SO dramatic.
Browsinho landed that aerial no problem and then, unfortunately for me and you guys, sailed back in.

That looks like Philippe.

Morgan back on NP gear.

I just love the way the colors of Pascal's sail stand out. He had a looong fun session.

Yep, The point looks good with the Kona.

This guy got two barrels (below) on the same wave and got a 10 from the Italian judge.


Brother Sid.

More windsurfing and surfing shots in this gallery from Jimmie Hepp.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
2.7ft @ 11s from 276° (W)

I got a report of head high waves in north Kihei yesterday. I'm not even going to try to find out what they were. Btw, without Pat Caldwell, I'm just as lost as you guys. Actually, probably more.

North shore
NW101
7.9ft @ 11s from 344° (NNW)
5.9ft @ 10s from 335° (NNW)

Hanalei
7.5ft @ 12s from 317° (NW)
4.6ft @ 10s from 313° (NW)

Waimea
4.9ft @ 9s from 321° (NW)
4.9ft @ 12s from 322° (NW)

Pauwela
3.4ft @ 11s from 335° (NNW)
3.2ft @ 13s from 330° (NW)
2.7ft @ 10s from 337° (NNW)
1.7ft @ 6s from 346° (NNW)
 
Because of the onshore winds that will blow after the pass of the front associated with yesterday's Konas, today the ocean will be quite stormy and the contrast with lovely clean conditions we had since the 12th (that's when I got back) will be remarkable. Good day to rest, unless you catch some surf very early in the morning. The wind model below only calls for onshores to settle around 8am, so there might be 1.5 hours of pseudo-glassiness. But look what happened during the night (perfectly predicted by the model): a first part of the front generated a good two hours of NNW winds. I bet that left some sickness in the water. Plus, look at the mix of periods at the buoy. Never gonna be as clean as yesterday. And that's why it's 6.45am and I'm still typing this call at home...
The webcam confirms that. Disorganized breaking patterns, even with no wind on it just yet.

 
Wind mat at 8am shows the arrival of light onshores, but it could be no wind until then.


Wind map at noon.


WNW and NWN fetches of different shapes today in the North Pacific.


Nothing from the South.


Morning sky shows the front that is done passing over us. Onshore messy conditions will follow.

No comments: