Thursday, January 17, 2019

Thursday 1 17 19 morning call

Two shortboard sessions for me yesterday. Here are a few waves from the first fabulous one.



And while I was doing that, my foiler buddies were having a blast again. Chris Pagdilao took these killer shots.
Kathy Shipman is a bit of a hero of mine.


Alika is not a light guy, but he flies like a sparrow.


Getting artsy here, I love the mist created by the waves on the background.


Nose riding. If I'm ever going to learn how to ride that 4 feet prone foil board I bought a couple of months ago, I shall try that. But that project is delayed until summer time, I got more fun things to do in the meantime.


My plan was to foil myself as a second session, but as I dropped my SUP foil board on the beach, the wind started blowing Kona and I immediately pack it back up. For foiling, onshore is the new offshore and viceversa! Plans are made to be changed and the second surfing spot wasn't too shabby either.




 
4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
2.9ft @ 13s from 267° (W)
 
Lanai still shows a pretty westerly direction of the wrap, so there might still be some waves in Kihei, but with the wind blowing Kona it's going to be onshore and blown out.

North shore
NW101
6ft @ 12s from 295° (WNW)
3.3ft @ 10s from 286° (WNW)
 
Hanalei
4.4ft @ 14s from 302° (WNW)
3.7ft @ 13s from 308° (WNW)
3.6ft @ 11s from 317° (NW)
 
Waimea
5.5ft @ 13s from 317° (NW)
 
Pauwela
4ft @ 12s from 338° (NNW)
3.8ft @ 14s from 325° (NW)
1.8ft @ 8s from 38° (NE)
 
NW energy trending down after a wonderful stretch of great waves and ideal conditions. This morning there should still be some excellence until the Kona wind gets too strong, before a pass of front that fortunately will happen only tonight. 4f 12s at Pauwela also means that I will return to surf Hookipa (or at least to look at it), so expect a beach report from there.
 
Wind map at noon.
 
North Pacific has a small and distant W fetch and a much closer and longer NNW one.
 
Nothing from the south.
 
Morning sky.
 
 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When all the images and hoopla started coming out with the Foil boarding, I really didn't think it would last, thought it was a fad, Wow!! it has really taken off, and stayed popular, maybe I should try it...