Thursday, January 24, 2019

Thursday 1 24 19 morning call

Two shortboard sessions for me yesterday. First one had the amazing colors pictured in the photos below.










Not many turns, it was mostly about the drop. Here's a clip.


Second session had some wind on it, here's a shot by Jimmie.


Still fun though. Here's a clip from session two. Between the two sessions, I caught 17 waves and didn't fall ones. Pretty happy about that.


When I saw Browsinho and Levi launching, I knew it was going to be an epic windsurf session. Jimmie Hepp documented it in this spectacular gallery from which I took this well over mast high wave.


If someone asked me:"GP, who's the best windsurfer on the planet in this moment?", I will answer without a doubt: Browsinho. Check the mind blowing moves he did in the above mentioned gallery.


Here's a few of my shots. As tweaked as it gets.

Levi's speedy bottom turn. I like his style the best still.

A little sequence to illustrate Browsinho's approach to that lip.

He redirected off the lip and now is going to free fall in front of it.

He painted that one.

Later at work, I had the Pipeline webcam in the background. Here's a set feathering on third reef and 100 people (no kidding, I counted them!) scratching for the horizon.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
No indication of southerly energy at the buoys.

North shore
NW101
9.7ft @ 15s from 312° (NW)
4.9ft @ 10s from 319° (NW)
 
Hanalei
10.9ft @ 15s from 308° (WNW)
3.1ft @ 10s from 340° (NNW)
 
Waimea
9.6ft @ 17s from 318° (NW)
 
Pauwela
9ft @ 17s from 321° (NW)
4.1ft @ 10s from 68° (ENE)
 
Beautiful numbers at the buoys. Below is the graph of NW and Pauwela, together with the Surfline offshore swell forecast for the next three days, which shows that the surf should stay elevated across the period. For the ones interested in yesterday's discussion, I put a red arrow to show that at 7am Pauwela registered well under the 4f 17s (more like 2.5f 18s) that we observed yesterday at NW and Hanalei. It did go up nicely after that, so it might be a case of delayed delivery. This morning's number is very solid. 9ft 17s means Hookipa is too big for me, which means I probably won't report from there.
Wind map at noon. No wind down the coast till then.


North Pacific continues to provide complex WNW and NW fetches, which will make it difficult to separate each single individual episode. Here's the NOAA's take:"A moderate long-period reinforcement will bring the surf back to around advisory-levels for north and west facing shores early next week".


A small S fetch in the South Pacific.


Morning sky.

No comments: