Monday, April 08, 2019

Monday 4 8 19 morning call

The funding campaign for the new Lahaina harbor webcam has raised $1325. Thanks a lot and let's keep them coming. I'm gonna start my posts with an update like this until it reaches its goal of $2,000. Please donate to the page, not to me. I have nothing to do with this campaign, other than the fact that I totally support the cause.

The wind meter is back on the roof (and on the blog). Here's the post that explains how to interpret its readings.

A shortboard session for me yesterday. Conditions were excellent again (it's been REALLY good). I surfed the same spot as my friend Matias, but I didn't get a vision like that. Good job, brother!


After my session, I took a few shots. This is Charlie Smith.

Roque Calderon.

Round house cuttie at Middles.


Groms looking at perfect waves on a Sunday morning. Are they aware of how lucky they are? If they were my kids, I would make sure they are.

I had the time for a second session, but not the energy. So I went to check out the Menehune contest (didn't know it's now a two days contest). Once again, how lucky are the Maui kids?

 
 The drumming kids were awesome. Great atmosphere and overall a great contest.

3am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
2ft @ 14s from 244° (WSW)

Not sure what to do with that direction, but it's worth to check the webcams to see if there's something breaking. Below is the fetch of 7 days ago (April 1st) and it does show a nice fetch.


Right now you have to guess by looking at the Kihei and Ala Moana cams (that's what I do, at least). Soon we'll be able to check the new Lahaina webcam. This is a photo taken from the spot where it will be installed. Here's the scoop I received from the Ozolio representative: The camera has full controls and a 30x zoom. Its a really nice Axis camera and should have some amazing views of the harbor... can even see Breakwall from the south side of the roof which is a bonus.
Keep the donations coming. One day you will be able to brag with your friends you were one of the funders of it...

North shore
NW101
5.4ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)            
4.7ft @ 10s from 339° (NNW)
 
NW001
7.1ft @ 10s from 340° (NNW)
 
Hanalei
5.9ft @ 13s from 323° (NW)
4.5ft @ 6s from 27° (NNE)
4.3ft @ 9s from 334° (NNW)
 
Waimea
4.8ft @ 14s from 326° (NW)
3.6ft @ 9s from 349° (NNW)
 
Pauwela
4.3ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)
3.2ft @ 9s from 358° (N)
2.8ft @ 10s from 344° (NNW)
1.6ft @ 5s from 47° (NE)
 
Below is the graph of NW101 and Pauwela together with the Surfline forecast. The significant wave height did go up locally yesterday (as predicted yesterday), while today it seems it might stay fairly steady to start with and then start a slow decline. The forecast is definitely higher than the buoy, as it indicates 6.4s 14s. I'm happy with 4.3ft 13, that's a really fun size at Hookipa, from which I'll report around 6am. This is the last relatively clean morning. After that, the trades will be back and this is going to be a very windy week.


Wind map at noon. Trades are back.


North Pacific still has a couple of WNW fetches, but they're both pretty weak.


South Pacific has a couple of SSE fetches.


Morning sky.

No comments: