Saturday, April 27, 2019

Saturday 4 27 19 morning call

A longboard and a shortboard session for me yesterday. This is Kathy Shipman inexplicably by herself in epic foiling conditions. Might be that most people now have long masts and they're realizing how much smaller their windows of tide opportunity are on the south shore. Btw, it's a good thing that I don't have my board with me anymore, otherwise I would have paddled out too (and made the trigger fingers worse).


This is my pick of Jimmie Hepp's daily gallery of the windsurfing action at Hookipa.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
WVHT 3.0 SwH2.3 SwP12.5 SwDS

The Surfline page with the buoy readings is down at the moment, so that's what the NOAA page reports. The Surfline algorithm to extract the breakdown of the different swells in the water is not perfect (often the readings are inconsistent and the directions are unreliable), but it sure is still much better than the NOAA page that only shows the primary swell instead. In this case, for example, we have no idea if the new 15s pulse of S swell that Pat Caldwell predicted is in the water or not. Fortunately now we have a webcam from which I took this snapshot that shows excellent conditions once again.



North shore
Pauwela
WVHT 5.6SwH 2.0SwP 11.1 SwDNNE

I don't really want to comment on that reading, I'm just going to say that I do hear a solid noise from the waves at my house. The NE fetch has been in place for a couple of days and I think the Hi-Tech organized MIL contest at Pavillions will have great conditions. My boss Kim Ball planned on leaving his house at 4am to have everything ready to start at 7am. He's an avid foiler and I'm sure he would love to be foiling with his friends, but his dedication to the local community is really admirable. I will report early.

Today we have an opportunity to test the new wind model that Jason found. Below is the map at 6am that shows 12 knots of onshore wind in Lahaina.


This is the 6am map of the model I've been using and instead it shows no wind in Lahaina at 6am. The picture of the Lahaina webcam I posted was taken at 5.55am, so that shows that the new model is clearly wrong about that patch of onshores. Bummer, I like the graphics and the resolution much better, but it clearly is not reliable. I invite the readers to test it themselves and let me know the results of their observations.


Wind map at noon. Both models show no wind on the north shore until 10ish.


North shore has the same two NW and NE fetches it had yesterday. Surfline has the NW swell for Monday/Tuesday, Pat Caldwell put it its table for Sunday/Monday instead. I go with uncle Pat.


South Pacific has a small fetch in a position that could easily be blocked by New Zealand... until it moves a bit east.


Morning sky.

No comments: