Tuesday, April 09, 2019

Tuesday 4 9 19 morning call

The funding campaign for the new Lahaina harbor webcam has raised $1385. Thanks a lot and let's keep them coming. I'm gonna start my posts with an update like this until it reaches its goal of $2,000. Please donate to the page, not to me. I have nothing to do with this campaign, other than the fact that I totally support the cause.

Two shortboard sessions for me yesterday. Here's a photo I quickly took of The Point after the wind picked up a bit and it went from a 7 (only early morning) to the usual average. What is that? I'd describe riding a wave at Hookipa in an average day in the following way: "ok, despite the side chop I managed to catch it. Now let me try to go around the section that is closing down on me down the line and then I'll see how long I can keep going.". Turns? If you get lucky.



Now, that same exact spot goes from average surfing to excellent windsurfing if you put easterly wind on it. The pros are in town for the photoshoots and the show is guaranteed. This is my pick from Jimmie Hepp's gallery of the day.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore
Barbers
2ft @ 15s from 218° (SW)

Lanai
1.3ft @ 16s from 186° (S)

Those are pretty nice and surprising readings at the local south facing buoys. Below is a combo of Ala Moana (top) and Kihei Kalama park. I managed to catch a decent set at both spots, so there definitely is some energy in the water. Maybe I go check it out, in which case I'll post a report later in the morning. In the meantime, I feel like safely say that it's not flat.


Oh yeah, that's an overhead set at Ala Moana, I think I'm going, as I only work at 2pm.


North shore
NW101
4.1ft @ 11s from 327° (NW)
2.7ft @ 10s from 341° (NNW)

Hanalei
4.5ft @ 12s from 321° (NW)
4ft @ 10s from 329° (NW)

Waimea
4.2ft @ 11s from 324° (NW)

Pauwela
5.3ft @ 11s from 336° (NNW)
2.5ft @ 7s from 23° (NNE)
1.6ft @ 9s from 359° (N)

NW-NNW energy trending down at all the buoys, with Pauwela topping the heights at 5.3ft 11s from 336. IF that is correct, that could be a good day for small Honolua. But I would recommend to check the buoy a couple of more times before going, just to make sure it's not a fluke. Otherwise, windy Hookipa will be another option, with waves still in the overhead range. I might report from there later this morning, not sure.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has a west and an east fetch.


South Pacific has a few fetches here and there, but nothing of particular relevance... yet.


Morning sky.

No comments: