Friday, August 27, 2021

Friday 8 27 21 morning call

No photos from yesterday, although I had a brilliant opportunity to film again Tituan Galea, back on Maui after two years. He's one of the two kids that showed us (and the whole world) what was possible to do with the wing on the waves. He was pleased to see me and thanked me for this video that helped him launch his career. He's now doing double back flips!


5am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
1.3ft @ 14s from 191° (SSW)

Not much at Barbers, check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
4.9ft @ 8s from 52° (ENE)

The reason I didn't film Titouan is that I had to test a downwind SUP foiling board in the late afternoon and I didn't have much time. So I launched at Hookipa headed to Kuau. The shore break was un-negotiable from my point of view, so I got in the water at Pavils. The sets at The Point were head high, sometimes plus. I put an arrow on the Pauwela graph below to show how much the windswell increased at that time. The same graph turns into a forecast and it keeps showing a down trend, but I remember the fetch being pretty decent in the last few days, so there should be waves at Hookipa and on the eastern exposures also today. Home guess is around belly to chest high.

Forecast and energy spectrum of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.


Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


No comments: