Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Tuesday 8 24 21 morning call

I'm back from my trip, this is how "my timeline" on Google Maps shows the itinerary. I added the arrows to show the direction in which I moved. The start (and end) was in Las Vegas, as I wanted to drive through the Monument Valley again (I did that 23 years ago and it was amazing). Plus, that's where I found an incredibly cheap deal on a commercial van (two seats in the front and completely empty in the back) that allowed me to buy some camping gear and sleep in it.

Too many beautiful places to mention, maybe one day I'll do a proper report with photos etc. Here I'm just going to mention that I did squeeze some water activities in thanks to some friends that landed me gear (I only had a 3m wing with me): I did some wake foiling on Lake Sammamish (thanks Tim!) and some wing foiling in the Gorge (thanks Dan and Alex!). Here's a video posted by Alex Aguera showing the conditions at Rufus, the last day I was there. Riding those bumps downwind was so much fun, that I feel like I want to go back next year.


5am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Barbers

1.7ft @ 16s from 206° (SSW)
1.5ft @ 13s from 193° (SSW)


Lanai is still down, Barbers shows decent long period numbers. I don't have (and won't for 7 days) the fetch maps, so the webcam is even more key. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
6.2ft @ 8s from 55° (ENE)

I believe yesterday there were epic surfing conditions on the eastern exposures, as I saw readings of 10mph from the WSW and bigger numbers at the buoy. 6ft 8s is still a good read, but the wind is back to a trades direction. Hookipa should have waves up to head high, possibly bigger on eastern exposures.

Forecast and energy spectrum of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.


Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).




Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


1 comment:

(Ben) Jamin Jones said...

Welcome back! It was a vacation to the gorge and particularly windsurfing the wall and Rufus area that made me decide to move to Oregon in the early nineties. The swell riding there can be super fun.