Friday, April 01, 2016

4 1 16 morning call

Three surf sessions for me yesterday, but I only found quantity, not much quality. Light offshores, I missed you.

As predicted, the conditions at Hookipa weren't quite sailable by the common mortals, but two guys challenged them anyway.
This is Ricardo Campello who ended up breaking his gear. Photos by Jimmie Hepp.


This is Steve Sadler who is a bit of a legend in my book.


Buoy readings at 4am:
NW
6.6ft @ 11s from 315° (NW)
3.8ft @ 10s from 309° (WNW)

Waimea
6.6ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)
3.4ft @ 9s from 319° (NW)

The directions at Waimea are a little more northerly, but the sizes are very similar and both of them are on the decline. We can wonder what Pauwela would be reading, and judging from the noise I hear from my window, I'm gonna guess nothing less than that. Not sure I'll surf Hookipa, but I'll post a report. Waves are down, the Hookipa beach reports start making sense again.
Gonna be well overhead, I can anticipate you that. Hopefully kinda clean, since there seem to be a light offshore flow as I post this just before dawn.

There's also a bit of a south swell (1f 16 at Lanai and 2f 16s at Barbers). I apologize if I lost track of it, but I'm testing and posting from different computers and I got weather maps scattered on the disks of all of them. Check the webcam before going. I also heard Lahaina was hit by the wrap of the NW swell (which is a bit hard to believe seen its direction) but that should be gone by now.


Wind map shows two fetches associated with two lows that will try to do a little fujiwara dance with not much success. Actually L2 is going to disappear to the north, replaced by L1. We'll take anything generating waves these days, because I do confess that I'm feeling a bit of spring in the air and that, unlike 99% of the rest of the people, depresses me a bit. Fortunately I know the antidote that works for me: getting online and booking flights to Indo, which I profusely did yesterday.


Bit of a fetch down south. In the left lower corner you can see more waves and offshores for Bells Beach. Conditions yesterday were absolutely flawless.


MC2km maps already updated at 5.30am, the county worker must have fallen out of bed! Another earthquake maybe?
Anyway, light offshores confirmed in the early morning and clean conditions up until 10am. Then the trades should start blowing. Below is the 2pm map which is when the wind is predicted to be the strongest. Looks like a better direction than yesterday, so windsurfing should happen.



This article about how the current El Nino is about to regress and turn into El Nina was circulating on facebook. Big variation in the forecast of those different models, I like the one with the red arrow better than the one with the blue arrow, that's for sure. But all of them see the temperature go down in the next few months, so let's get ready to say goodbye to our friend that brought us so much epicness.


Good way to celebrate it is to watch Jake Miller's latest edit of Wednesday's session at Jaws.

The Last of El Nino at Pe'ahi aka JAWS by Xensr from Xensr on Vimeo.

No comments: