Monday, April 04, 2016

4 4 16 morning call

Poor day for me yesterday as I only had one short session at Hookipa.

Caught like 10 waves, didn't do a single turn as the next section was always closing out right away.
I had a new (used) board I wanted to try badly, so I drove to Lahaina, but of course I arrived when the onshores were already on. I was off and the only "commitment" I had was to be in Wailuku at 1pm for another... board meeting.

So I kept driving and checked Honolua. Wasn't expecting anything, and there wasn't much of anything, even though once in a while a little line would come in but not quite enough, not even with a longboard. Kept driving and did the west maui mountain tour only to arrive perfectly on time at the appointment. Board meeting went good and guess what, I bought another used board.

I have a serious disease: even though I don't need a board, I can't say no to a good deal. This last one wasn't even a good deal. But it was a board I always wanted to try.
So at the moment I own 5 boards between 5.8 and 6.0. Who the hell do I think I am, Albee or something?
I need to test the hell out of them and I might need to hire a caddy that surfs with me and when I'm done with one board, paddles it back to the beach, changes board, paddles back out and swap with me. Of course he could surf with me while I'm testing, so it's not just paddling back and forth.
I'm pretty serious about this, possible trade with blog banners. The problem is that I never know where I'm gonna surf until the very last moment, so logistically it will be challenging.
Nah too complicated, it's not gonna happen and I just wasted a few minutes of your time. Sorry about that.

Windsurfing conditions and wave size of yesterday afternoon in this photo by Jimmie Hepp. Offshore, strong and gusty.


Went through some old photos yesterday and found this classic. It was published on the Honolulu Advertiser the day after a big south swell that hit Ala Moana Bowls and it was titled:"three guys in the barrel". I find it exceptional.



5am buoy readings:
Waimea
2.1ft @ 11s from 322° (NW)
2ft @ 9s from 331° (NNW)
1.5ft @ 6s from 11° (NNE)
1ft @ 15s from 283° (WNW)
Lanai
1.4ft @ 9s from 193° (SSW)           
1.4ft @ 15s from 203° (SSW)
1.3ft @ 8s from 170° (S)
0.8ft @ 11s from 231° (WSW)
 
Maui's north shore won't get any of that 15s energy from 283, but couple of feet 9s and 11s will (barely!) keep it from going flat.
It's 6am and the Maui County worker must be still in bed, since the 2km maps are not updated yet. I know, it's tough on a Monday for most people. Not for me, since I got over considering different the days of the week long time ago. For me every day is the same wonderful opportunity to enjoy life. Sunday, Monday, birthday, non birthday, all human society induced bs...
Anyway, the wind should be strong be very offshore, so only Hookipa shoul be eventually influence by it, no wind west of it.
Still 1.4f 15s on the south shore, check the webcam before going.
 
The wide and weak NW fetch on the left will keep small to moderate waves rolling on the north shore, but it will also create havoc when its associated front will hit on Tuesday followed by strong NE winds Wednesday. Plan on cleaning your place or something else, 'cause surfing conditions will suck.
 
Small weak fetches down south.


Here, 6.15am webcam check: hookipa on the left, lahaina on the right, take your time 'cause there's not much to ride anywhere... remember the wind maps a few days ago? small, weak fetches in the north pacific mean small waves a few (3-4) days later. Same, but after a few more days (7) for the south shore. That's why I always post the wind maps and the way you guys should use them is to make a mental note of what's coming ahead and be prepared. Plus they will always be available for future reference if you forget. Just scroll down. Cheers.


Last but not least, finally around 6.30 the MC2km maps got updated and this is the noon one.


No comments: