Sunday, April 03, 2016

4 3 16 morning call

Poor surfing conditions on the north shore yesterday due to the return of the trade winds.
The windsurfers probably enjoyed more, here's a shot by Jimmie Hepp.


Buoy readings at 4am are not particularly exciting.
NW
3.2ft @ 11s from 358° (N)
2.5ft @ 10s from 354° (N)

Waimea
3ft @ 9s from 325° (NW)           
2.8ft @ 11s from 337° (NNW)
 
Lanai
2ft @ 8s from 202° (SSW)
1.4ft @ 14s from 205° (SSW)
1ft @ 16s from 211° (SW)
 
Barbers
2.7ft @ 9s from 170° (S)
1.5ft @ 16s from 195° (SSW)
1.3ft @ 5s from 125° (ESE)
1.2ft @ 12s from 240° (WSW)
Even less exciting is the Hookipa iwindsurf.com reading at 5.30am: 13mph (9-20). Morning session is going to be small and windy. I'll probably try to tackle that 16s energy on the south shore instead.
I have a new board to test and I need a clean wave. Check the webcam before going. Always.

MC2km map at noon shows a slightly offshore direction of the trades. Maaaybe I'll try going windsurfing again, yesterday's session with slightly onshores was boring.

 
Wind map shows a wide but weak NW fetch.
 
Southern Pacific wind map shows again a compact but well oriented fetch. With the spring bringing more consistent trades, I'm gonna start relying on the south shore again to get some clean surfing.


At my very personal pace and in my very personal way, yesterday I finished watching the ladies contest at Bells. Still well behind the mens, please don't spill any result.

Conditions were absolutely flawless. I strongly recommend to check either the heats on demand or the heat videos (10min summaries with all the waves and replays) from Round 4 on. Here's the videos page. Unfortunately you still have to be careful not to find out who won that heat, but it doesn't take much to figure out how. Just scroll down to the heat/round you want to watch trying not to read the titles of the videos after that. Probably the only case in which needing eye glasses is an advantage. I take them off, and all is blurred and I can navigate through the videos without being able to read the titles...
Not gonna say who won, in case you don't know, but I'm gonna say that Carissa Moore in my opinion surfs much better than anybody else. I always though that she surfs like Jordy Smith and I might start saying that she actually surfs better than Jordy Smith.


There you go, here's the list of all the videos I'm talking about, so you guys won't risk to find out the results. This is EXCELLENT customer service. I wish someone would do the same for me...
R4H1
R4H2
R4H3
R4H4
QFH1
QFH2
QFH3
QFH4
SFH1
SFH2
FINAL






No comments: