Thursday, December 20, 2018

Thursday 12 20 18 morning call

A shortboard session for me yesterday. No photos of the day, time to post this video introducing the first Foil Kalama Kamp that will be held in Namotu (Fiji) in September. If you are interested, please let them know you saw it here. And if you would like me to be one of the coaches, let them know that too! I wish I could tell you how those waves are for foiling, but when I was there last, you might remember, I got injured surfing Restaurants on the second day of my stay and never got to do any foiling. I do know that, under the right conditions, the inside of Wilkes can offer rides that can go up to four minutes! One of them might already be worth the trip.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
No indication of southerly energy at the buoys.

North shore
NW001
6.9ft @ 12s from 344° (NNW)
4.9ft @ 8s from 8° (N)
4.1ft @ 10s from 340° (NNW)
 
Hanalei
6.4ft @ 9s from 346° (NNW)
6.1ft @ 13s from 322° (NW)
4.6ft @ 11s from 326° (NW)
3.8ft @ 10s from 333° (NNW)
 
Waimea
7.1ft @ 9s from 344° (NNW)
7ft @ 13s from 319° (NW)
 
Pauwela
6.8ft @ 9s from 347° (NNW)
6.3ft @ 13s from 332° (NNW)
4.6ft @ 11s from 334° (NNW)
 
Plenty energy from the NNW still in the water from the Tuesday swell. The mix of periods and the wind will make conditions less than perfect on the north shore, but it should be better than yesterday, which was pretty ugly because of the stronger and more onshore wind. We'll see, I should be able to report from Hookipa before 7am.
 
 
Wind map at noon.
 
North Pacific's main fetch today is a fairly wide WNW one with most of the energy between 300 and 320. Next big swell predicted by Surfline has 6f 14s on Tuesday rising up to 10f 14s on Wednesday, so I guess we'll see that fetch intensify in the next few days.
 
Nothing of relevance from the South Pacific.
Morning sky.

No comments: