Saturday, July 08, 2017

Saturday 7 8 17 morning call

After another fun microwave session in Lahaina, as planned I tested the GoFoil Maliko foil and here's my windfoiling review. Message to all foil manufacturers: I'm happy to test and review any foil. Looking for sponsorship too, just in case.


Here's how the Maliko looks like. You can check both GoFoil foils on their website.


Today there's a Maui to Molokai crossing, here's the program.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore


W
4.7ft @ 8s from 112° (ESE)
1.5ft @ 15s from 132° (SE)
1.5ft @ 12s from 133° (SE)

SW
5ft @ 7s from 75° (ENE)         
2.1ft @ 12s from 151° (SSE)
1.6ft @ 15s from 134° (SE)

SE
4.1ft @ 7s from 73° (ENE)
2.4ft @ 14s from 176° (S)
 
I left the windswell readings so that you guys can verify the validity of my theory once again. The new south swell is now hitting the outer buoys, but the stronger easterly windswell influences its recorded direction. Only the SE buoy seems to offer a more reliable direction, but I don't even look at it anymore. I remember the position of the fetch and that's what gives me the direction information. This one is a southerly one.

Below is a snip I took at 2pm yesterday and it shows two of the very first readings of the long period south swell: 15 and 17 seconds respectively from 117 and 132 degrees. Doesn't make any sense, the fetch was straight south of us. My theory is correct, I verified it way too many times. And as soon as the local buoys like Lanai and Barbers will be back online, we'll have another confirmation of that.
 
Anyway, the swell is finally here (the ww3 model was too optimistic on the arrival time), there will be waves on the south shore. Check webcams and my beach report for size and conditions.

North shore
Pauwela
2.8ft @ 7s from 73° (ENE)

Nothing, niente, nada de nada.

Wind map at noon. Today I should get my hands on a 3.4 sail and try that for windfoiling.


North Pacific map only shows a narrow easterly windswell fetch. Flatness will continue.


The first tropical storm of the season (Eugene) is forming off Mexico, we'll keep an eye on it for surf potential.


Three weak fetches down south. Despite two big and long lasting swells, so far this summer has been below average. And I can't believe how much fun I'm having nonetheless.


No clouds whatsoever and another stunning day is on its way. Did you guys notice the light yesterday, or it's only me?


Here's the reason of the exceptionally pleasant weather we're having since at least a month: no red in the windguru table, which translates into moderate trades which translates in the most pleasant weather a human body (well, at least mine) can possibly experience.

No comments: