Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Wednesday 7 12 17 morning call

Longboarding and windfoiling keep making this summer my best ever on Maui, despite a below average south swell season.


This picture above shows the setup I used yesterday afternoon, next to the one of a slalom sailor's. My sail is a 2.7, while his is a cambered 5.7. Now look at the fins.
The necessary lift has been moved from above the water (big sail, small fin) to under the water (big fin, small sail). They both work and are fun, but the foiling is quiet, way more gentle on your body and a brand new feeling.
I'm exploring the limits of this new discipline and every day I learn something. This is a little video of how the 2.7 performed in 20-25 knots of wind. Next, I'd like to try a 1.5 kid sail in 25-30 knots.


This is yesterday's wind graph in mph that confirms my guess of the wind speed of my test. I also included the ad of one of the many brands that are now producing foils. I drew a red foil to show the different position of my foil. With the black one, the foil is all way at the back and the center of resistance is right underneath it. To balance it and go on a straight line, the sail needs to be leaned back and the sailor's stance is more similar to regular windsurfing. With the red one, it's more forward, the sail is more upright and so it the sailor's stance. We all know that the more forward you move the fin of a surfboard, the more maneuverable the board will be.

I'm not saying that it's better for everyone, but I sure like it better. It seems to me that the industry lazily grandfathered the position of the box from regular windsurfing and I consider myself very lucky to be borrowing a board that has it forward instead. When the owner will want it back, I will get myself a slalom board and install a box forward, that's for sure.

The windfoiling set of posts is getting bigger, you can check them all out by clicking on the "wind foiling" label, in the labels section that you will find scrolling down on the right column of this blog.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
2.5ft @ 12s from 150° (SE)

SW
2.6ft @ 12s from 138° (SE)

SE
2.3ft @ 13s from 155° (SSE)

Small numbers at the outer buoys, but still a bit of 12s energy to be enjoyed on the Lahaina side. Check the webcam and my beach report for size and conditions.

North shore
Pauwela
4.2ft @ 8s from 72° (ENE)

A little bigger windswell reading today, there should be something breaking at Hookipa.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows a small NW fetch and a well oriented windswell fetch.


South Pacific shows a fairly decent fetch east of New Zealand. Couple of feet at 14s is the related swell height predicted by Surfline in a week.


Another stunning day is on its way.

No comments: