Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Wednesday 7 19 17 morning call

My longboard session in Lahaina was delightful yesterday, but I don't have a photo of the day. Usually this time of the year I'm in Indo and Facebook keeps proposing me those memories from the past, so here's a photo I posted 5 years ago. About to bail and dive into the wall.
This year I plan on leaving late August, so if you plan on visiting Maui around that time for about a month, email me to check the availability of my studio/car.


2-3am significant buoy readings
South shore
W
1.9ft @ 13s from 150° (SE)

SW
2.5ft @ 12s from 167° (SSE)

SE
2.7ft @ 12s from 146° (SE)

Couple of feet of southerly energy at the outer buoys, and I'm going longboarding again. Check webcams and my beach report for conditions and size.

North shore
Pauwela
4.1ft @ 7s from 37° (NE)                      
0.8ft @ 14s from 84° (E)

Hilo
1.8ft @ 13s from 109° (ESE)

The NOAA WW3 model predicts 4f 15s at 8am and Surfline (which integrates the WW3 into their near shore model) predicts 5f 15s both from around 100 degrees for the swell generated a few days ago by Fernanda. Both are quite off unfortunately as Hilo (the most exposed buoy to 100 degrees) only reads what reported. Only barely a foot at Pauwela, while the northerly windswell will remain the main source of waves for Hookipa with 4f 7s.

The models prediction always looked a bit too high to me for such a small (although intense) fetch as the one Fernanda had. So, unless the swell builds later in the day (check the buoys for that), or unless you go to Hana, no hurricane surfing today.
Wind map at noon. Looks like pretty strong trades.


North Pacific only shows a windswell fetch.


No fetches worth circling in the South Pacific, we got to wait until tomorrow for the one in the Tasman Sea to form.


Some clouds, but the potential for another stunning day (like yesterday ended up to be) is there.

No comments: