Sunday, July 09, 2017

Sunday 7 9 17 morning call

From the harbor to the harbor might be the theme of this summer for me. But before I bug you again with another windfoiling video, here's yesterday's sunset in a photo by Jimmie Hepp.


Hot Sails Maui gave me a 3.4 Firelight to test for the foiling and I doubt they will see it back! The sail is a dream, the whole rig is a dream. And I explain why in this video below.


That was take two, because take one ended up like this.

An horrific and totally avoidable surfing accident happened to Koa Rothman. Here's the article, and here's a quote from him: “I think there’s so much that everyone can learn,” Rothman says. “You could tell he wasn’t comfortable. And when you’re not comfortable surfing somewhere, you’re probably not only endangering yourself, but absolutely everyone".

At the same time, Jamie Mitchell broke his stern while tackling the big waves in the beach breaks of Puerto Escondido.

3am significant buoy readings
South shore


W
2.8ft @ 14s from 141° (SE)

SW
3ft @ 13s from 166° (SSE)

SE
2.6ft @ 13s from 163° (SSE)

Numbers went up a bit, so should the waves. No reports from me this morning, I have a business appointment at 6am. Check the webcams!

North shore
Pauwela
2.7ft @ 5s from 86° (E)
2.5ft @ 8s from 48° (NE)
1.5ft @ 6s from 65° (ENE)
0.4ft @ 16s from 50° (NE)

Not sure how to comment those readings as I wouldn't like to demotivate someone from going surfing at Hookipa. For me it's total junk, but it's a matter of personal preferences. There will be small waves at Pavils (mostly from the 8s reading).

The other wind map I prefer is not updated this morning, I'll use this other one. This is noon.


North Pacific only offers the windswell fetch. Red arrow on Eugene now entering the picture. Fetch still to small to do anything for us.


This is the 5 days cone of predicted trajectory taken from NOAA. That's going to put the storm in a better position for wave generation for us, it will all depend on the size and intensity of the fetch. So far Surfline only predicts 1.4f 14s from 86 degrees on Friday, which is kinda useless.


South Pacific shows a semi-blocked fetch in the Tasman sea. Things should get better tomorrow.


Those brighter clouds are the ones that made for that stunning sunset, and I believe we have another stunning day on its way.

No comments: