Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sunday 3 24 19 morning call

The funding campaign for the new Lahaina harbor webcam has raised $580. Thanks a lot and let's keep them coming. I'm gonna start my posts with an update like this until it reaches its goal of $2,000.

A longboard session for me yesterday. The only "proper" photo of the day is this screen shot from the Kanaha windcam showing Robby Naish having fun with a wing which he uses to propel himself on his SUP foiling board. Alan Cadiz has been playing with a similar version of it designed by Ken Winner and I he let me try it once. As you have a board that is big and stable enough and as long as you know how to foil, the thing was pretty easy and very interesting. I didn't do it long enough to get into technical comments, though. I can only tell you that, like everything you try for the first time, it was a lot of fun.


Say a temporary goodbye to the blog Kuau wind meter. They're about to redo the roof of my house and I've been asked to remove it.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Barbers
1.2ft @ 16s from 191° (SSW)

Lanai
1.6ft @ 16s from 187° (S)

Pretty much right after I posted my call yesterday, I started to notice readings of 1ft 18s at both the reported buoys. As a matter of fact, I got reports of waves up to waist high in the Launiupoko area. Today the period is down to 16s, so I'm going to safely call for knee high.

North shore
NW101
5.8ft @ 11s from 10° (N)

N
5.7ft @ 13s from 310° (WNW)

Hanalei
7ft @ 12s from 337° (NNW)

Waimea
4.8ft @ 10s from 354° (N)
4.6ft @ 12s from 340° (NNW)

Pauwela
6.7ft @ 13s from 336° (NNW)
3.9ft @ 10s from 340° (NNW)
 
The current NNW swell peaked yesterday (haven't seen any photos of Honolua, unfortunately), but 6.7ft 13s from 336 is still a beautiful size. A more friendly size actually, that will make Hookipa surfable and windsurfable again (it wasn't yesterday) with waves around head and a half to double. Honolua will still break, but smaller than yesterday, probably around shoulder to head high with occasional higher sets.


Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has a couple of small NW fetches.


Nothing from the south.


Morning sky.

No comments: