Monday, December 09, 2019

Monday 12 9 19 morning call

Excellent waves all day yesterday, everywhere on the island that likes a NNE direction. This is the harbor Jetty where an epic HSA contest was held.


John Patao posted some photos of the incredible barrels that were on offer.


Lahaina was getting plenty energy from the wrap, this is an image in the late morning. Breakwall had overhead sets.


The Hi-Tech Christmas party is always a hoot, particularly the Secret Santa game. In the spirit of the game, there are tons of great gifts (that can be stolen), but some bad ones too.
Here's the speech I gave when it was my turn:
Before coming here I quickly checked out the waves at Hookipa. I saw a set at The Point that was a 10. And I got the feeling that, although smaller, also tomorrow morning could be really good.
That means that I'd like to surf.
That means that I'd like to go to sleep early.
That means that I'll steal the worse present that was given out so far, so that I can leave now!

Here's the HOLE-IN-ONE toilet golf game I ended up with. I love multitasking.


4am significant buoy readings and discussion
South shore
Lanai
1.3ft @ 14s from 218° (SW)

Not sure if that is a wrap of some sort or a proper SW, what counts is that the Lahaina webcam shows inconsistent little sets. Check it out yourself if interested.


North shore
NW101
6.5ft @ 14s from 332° (NNW)

Waimea
3.5ft @ 15s from 319° (NW)
1.8ft @ 11s from 24° (NNE)
1.1ft @ 9s from 33° (NE)

Pauwela
3.4ft @ 14s from 352° (N)
2.3ft @ 13s from 17° (NNE)
1.4ft @ 10s from 24° (NNE)
 
New NW swell on the rise all day, while the old NNE tapers down. Below are the graphs of NW and Pauwela together with the Surfline forecast. Tough call on the size (but most definitely surfable) from home, I'll report later from the beach.


Wind map at noon



Kahului Tides
High Tide     High Tide     Low Tide     Low Tide       Sunrise   Sunset
 1:23a  +2.3  12:08p  +1.6   7:24a  +1.0   6:43p  -0.2    6:53a   5:47p    

North Pacific has a strong and long and perfectly oriented towards us fetch that has High Surf Warning levels written all over. 15ft 16s from 326 predicted by Surfline on Thursday. Too big for Pipe, are they going to run the Eddie or Jaws?


Nothing from the south.


Morning sky.

No comments: