Saturday, January 08, 2022

Saturday 1 8 22 morning call

 Hookipa yesterday morning. Photo by Patrick Wardle.


I often get questions about leashes for foils. Here's my very personal opinion.
The risk of having the board ricochet at you because of a fully extended coiled leash (like mine in the photo) is extremely low. Unlike what happens with a regular surfing board, in fact, the foil offers so much drag to significantly slow it down. If the foil is up, the edge of the tail will do the same. In 4 years of foiling, I was never hit by the board pulled back at me by the extended leash.
That's why I use a coiled DaKine bodyboard leash of only 4 feet. It originally comes with a bicep cuff, so I replace it with a ankle cuff (yes, you need two leashes to come up with one).

Actually, after I saw this picture taken by Tomoko, I realized that even with such a short leash, when I use my Foil Drive (I got only one left in stock at Hi-Tech, if someone is interested), there is still a risk of damaging the prop blades with it. So I now have a knee cuff on my SUP foiling board. That way the leash never hits the water while flying, which is something extremely annoying, imo.
Everything I said applies to SUP foiling and it doesn't really work for prone foiling (for that little that I tried it). I'm not aware of any satisfying solution for prone foiling. A 5 foot thin comp straight leash is what I would use, but it would still hit the water while foiling.

6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
No southerly energy at Barbers, check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
NW001

9.8ft @ 12s from 318° (NW)
5.6ft @ 10s from 313° (NW)

Hanalei

5.2ft @ 13s from 306° (WNW)
3.2ft @ 9s from 351° (N)

Hilo

4.6ft @ 9s from 86° (E)
2.6ft @ 13s from 327° (NW)
2.6ft @ 11s from 348° (NNW)

Kaneohe Bay

2.7ft @ 10s from 15° (NNE)
2.3ft @ 13s from 349° (NNW)

NW swell came down as predicted. Today it's going to be a transition day, as a new larger NW swell should rise quite quickly in the late afternoon. NW001 shows 10ft 12s at 6am, travel time is 20 hours at that period, but I think the longer period energy from more back in the fetch is still travelling.
The PACIOOS forecast below shows a peak of 12ft 15 around midnight locally.
As for the start of the day, my home guess for Hookipa is for waves around head and a half.

Forecast of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.



Wind map at noon
. The other ones can be found here.

Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
N/A

North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: