Sunday, April 12, 2015

4 12 15 morning call

The 2015 American Windsurfing Tour is about to start with the first event in Santa Cruz in 7 weeks, but the permit price has been unexpectedly risen (more info here). The event organizers have started a fund collection thing here. Please chip in if you want to support them.

Talking about which, windsurfing looked pretty damn fun at Hookipa when I pulled in at 4pm, but I had PT orders not to do it, so I went surfing. Yes, overall I like surfing better than windsurfing, but when it's windy I'd rather windsurf.
And it seems to me that Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, conditions will be pretty good for that. I see a cortisone injection in my future... can't miss out on that!

Photo of the day is from John Patao and it shows that at the Hi-Tech organized Maui Interscholastic Championships at the Lahaina harbor there actually were some decent waves once in a while. Plenty talent too.




Buoys at 5am
NW
5.8ft @ 8s from 66° (ENE)
2.1ft @ 13s from 108° (ESE)
1.6ft @ 5s from 71° (ENE)\
 
Waimea
3.9ft @ 8s from 25° (NNE)
2.1ft @ 11s from 350° (N)
1.9ft @ 5s from 32° (NE)
0.7ft @ 16s from 317° (NW)
 
Pauwela
4.7ft @ 8s from 60° (ENE)
2.3ft @ 10s from 347° (NNW)
1.8ft @ 3s from 71° (ENE)
0.4ft @ 16s from 10° (N)

Lanai
1.7ft @ 7s from 172° (S)
1.4ft @ 12s from 185° (S)
1.3ft @ 9s from 181° (S)
1ft @ 15s from 191° (SSW)

The lack of NW reading at the NW buoy makes me think that whatever is leftover at the Pauwela buoy this morning is not going to last long. Despite the couple of long period readings at Waimea and Pauwela (probably the angular spreading of that fetch south of the Aleutians I mentioned yesterday), I expect smaller waves than yesterday with a down trend.
Lanai (and the Lahaina cam) still shows some energy instead. I have a lesson south, so I don't think I'll have the time to take a photo from Hookipa. Sorry.
 
Good news from the world wind map today. Not only we see the fetch of the storm that is going to acquire hurricane force and generate the NW swell I mentioned at the beginning of the post.
But we also see a lovely fetch that covers the whole Tasman sea. That means big waves in Fiji in a couple of days and some of that energy will arrive also here in a week. Like usual, the fetch will cross over New Zealand and move to the east of it to generate more waves that will travel towards us without as many obstacles. In other words, good waves all week on the south shore starting next Sunday.
 
 


Wind map today at 1pm doesn't show much wind, but pink is 15-20 so wind related sports will still be possible.


No comments: