Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Wednesday 11 14 18 morning call

A SUP foiling and two wave windfoiling sessions for me yesterday. This concludes a wonderful three days off work that I thoroughly enjoyed thanks to the foil (conditions weren't clean enough for my taste for surfing). Specially the WWF is a brand new love. Brand new feelings and way to ride waves that once again I call gracefully dancing with the ocean. And the most exciting thing is that I know that I only discovered a little glance of what it can offer. Hopefully my chronic trigger fingers will allow me to get there.

Lots of photos of the day, let me try to keep a chronologic order. Here's a little sequence that Tomoko took in the early morning.






The beauty of everything.


Once again, to the eye of the surfer that might look lame (not hitting lips and not being in the pocket), but the feeling is not. And if you still think it is lame, here's what Austin Kalama did at Hookipa later in the day. Photos by Gofoil.
Notice the shift of weight on the front foot to keep the foil from overfoiling in this first one.


He's using the Kai foil from Gofoil. Faster and less lift than the Iwa, which is the one I use 90% of the times, as he needs more speed to do those aerials and better speed control on those bigger waves.


I just bought myself some softer footstraps that hopefully won't require a foam shield to lay down on them. As soon as I get a proper prone board, I'm ready to do that too! :)


My second WWF session was mostly aimed to try to film a wave from underneath the board. This image is all I got, as it proved to be much more difficult that I thought. The camera slows down the board greatly and I needed to be a little overpowered to catch a wave and bring it up on the foil. Instead I was underpowered with a tiny 2.8 sail and when I finally managed to catch a wave, I rode all the way in without downwind cutbacks so that I could remove the camera. Not giving up on the idea though, just a delayed project.



This photo of a windsurfer at Hookipa by Jimmie Hepp from this gallery could be used as an illustration of what windsurfer call logo high waves. 3 meters faces.


4am significant buoy readings
North shore
NW101
8.3ft @ 14s from 345° (NNW)
4.8ft @ 10s from 350° (N)

Hanalei
6.1ft @ 14s from 340° (NNW)
5.1ft @ 13s from 338° (NNW)

Waimea
7.9ft @ 14s from 343° (NNW)
4.9ft @ 11s from 343° (NNW)
 
Pauwela
7ft @ 13s from 334° (NNW)
2.4ft @ 8s from 36° (NE)
2.4ft @ 9s from 4° (N)
1.2ft @ 11s from 341° (NNW)
 
The new pulse of NNW energy is here. 7f 13s and no wind, I might surf somewhere in the Kahului area this morning. Big waves at Hookipa.
 
South shore
No indication of southerly energy at any buoy, I was gonna call it flat, but then I saw this set at Ala Moana... must be a freak one. Pretty much nothing after it.


Wind map at noon. Just about to get light onshore.


North Pacific has another lovely not too distant NNW fetch. We've had a great run of energy from that lovely direction, good for both the north shore and the upper west side and it looks like it's going to continue.


Nothing from the south.


Morning sky.

1 comment:

Windchaser said...

What is the volume of that Kalama SUP foil board you ride?