Monday, July 06, 2020

Monday 7 6 20 morning call

Wonderful conditions all morning on the south shore. I had three sessions of three different disciplines and they all ranked pretty high in the fun scale.

If you're one of the 67 people that watched my quick review of the Gofoil GL120, you might remember that at the end I say that I needed to try it on a small day to decide if I want to sell my 140. Well, the small day came and the plan was to do half sesh on the 120 and then change to the 140 to see if it allowed me to have more fun. Never needed to do that, as I was having plenty fun with the 120, even on small waves!

The trick to keep it moving. Notice that in the video I never go straight, always going left or right and putting it "on the rail". Those little left/right surfing style pumps (as opposed to the up/down foiling style pumps), not only help to create speed, but are also fun and give me a feeling similar to shortboard surfing. That was also facilitated by the fact that I was using the original Gofoil 24.5 mast, which is way more flexible than the later longer wider thicker stiffer heavier slower 29.5 (which feels like a longboard when I try to do the same).

I normally use the 24.5 with a 3 inch extension, so that the total length is 27.5, but yesterday I went out at pretty low tide, so no extension. The downside of the short mast (specially if you're used to a longer one) is the fact that you overfoil more often (a couple of times in the video). I use the 29.5 when it's head high or more, as it offers better control at high speed (and less overfoiling). I also prefer it for winGfoiling and winDfoiling.

Notice also how on small waves, you need to be more right on top of the crest (where there's more power) rather than dropping all the way in the trough (which you can do when it's bigger).

Btw, foiling on waves is about 10 times more fun that it looks.
Btw2, not selling the 140 just yet, as it might be better for winging downwinders (Dan Taylor style), so I need to try that first.


4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
2.5ft @ 10s from 169° (SSE)       
2ft @ 13s from 173° (S)

Lanai
2.7ft @ 10s from 173° (S)         
1.9ft @ 13s from 185° (S)
 
Still a couple of feet 13s at the buoys, together with some 10s SSE energy. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency. Here's an early morning shoulder high one.


And here's a short period set at the Breakwall.


North shore
Waimea
0.9ft @ 11s from 313° (NW)            

Pauwela
3.4ft @ 6s from 61° (ENE)            
1.3ft @ 11s from 353° (N)
 
Is 1ft 11s going to be noticeable at Hookipa? Not sure, but I doubt it. Either way, it's still going to be very small waves at Hookipa, bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: