Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Tuesday 7 28 20 morning call. SUP foiling downwind attempt n.23 part one.

Thanks to blog reader Jodel for the donation.

Wonderful conditions for downwinders yesterday, I did my attempt n.23 at SUP foiling. I first recorded this video on the beach about what I learned so far and then filmed the water action with the gopro. It will take me a few days to edit those, I'm just going to anticipate that it was my best ever with 90% of the distance covered while foiling! That translates in only 10% of the time foiling. What was I doing the rest of the time? Resting and sitting on the board for 5 minutes after the 6-7 semi-long flights and after that, standing on the board in surfer stance waiting for the right take-off opportunity. Meanwhile here's 15 minutes of monologue about the technicalities of this incredibly difficult discipline. Obviously, you need to be very interested in the topic (or in me, lol!) to get to the end. Fyi, when I say "I measure my pressure" I mean "I measure my heart beat".



4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
1ft @ 12s from 173° (S)       
0.7ft @ 15s from 199° (SSW)

Lanai
0.8ft @ 12s from 176° (S)            
0.7ft @ 15s from 192° (SSW)  

Barbers is back online and both buoys register a touch of that Tasman Sea energy I was announcing yesterday. Let's see how Pat Caldwell described the evolution of the fetch:

Gales nosed into the subtropics of the Tasman Sea 7/20-21 and should become the dominant background swell locally 7/28-29 from 208-220 degrees.
The Tasman low moved east of New Zealand 7/22-24. It aimed mostly at the Americas, except for a short-lived fetch centered on 190 degrees within 45-55S, 170W 7/23. The PacIOOS/CDIP American Samoa buoy 7/26 did agree with the Wave Watch III showing low swell in the 14-16 second band. This buoy location is likely west of the main swath, so there are still low odds for some surf in Hawaii. The onset stage should start 7/30, peaking 7/31 at most near average, then dropping 8/1 from 180-200 degrees.

Below are the maps of July 20 through 23 that will help follow.


Tasman Sea swells can be particularly inconsistent and this is one of them, as I haven't seen anything worth on the Lahaina webcam, which you should anyway check if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
4.1ft @ 8s from 83° (E)            

Windswell trending down, small waves at Hookipa, bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: