Monday, May 16, 2016

5 16 16 morning call

Fun longboard session yesterday morning at Hookipa, the waves were waist high and clean. Below is Sol on a bigger than average one. My call for the size is always for the average size of the waves and there will always be bigger ones than that.


When I arrived at work, I was struck by the amazing light. The light is one of the my top 5 favorite things of Maui. I went around the Hi-Tech parking lot and took these random photos. Too bad my phone camera is poor.






This one is inside the shop instead and it shows my brand new front foot pad. I'm very excited to try it, I think I'm gonna love it. If anything, it's a softer surface for my ribs to lay on. Seen like this, it looks like I put it too far back, doesn't it? I'll find out soon.
Btw, I'm considering the purchase of this.


Later on, the wind picked up and the hungry windsurfers (a week with no sailable conditions) all showed up. Wave size remained the same as the windswell is just now starting to build. Photo by Jimmie Hepp.


Significant buoy readings 5am
NW
3.1ft @ 10s from 346° (NNW)

Waimea
1.7ft @ 10s from 317° (NW)                      
0.9ft @ 12s from 339° (NNW)
 
Pauwela
2.1ft @ 5s from 69° (ENE)
1.8ft @ 6s from 71° (ENE)
1.3ft @ 10s from 342° (NNW)
1.3ft @ 9s from 358° (N)
 
I like the NW buoy reading which is probably being hit by the energy generated by the front of yesterday's NW fetch. The graphs are too busy to be interpreted clearly, let's just hope that energy will make it over here at one point. Let's also hope that tomorrow's readings will be bigger. 3f 10s is not really much and by the time it gets here it will be even smaller.
At the moment, there's only a foot 10s from NNW and minimal windswell energy. This last one is modeled to build up to 6f 8s from the east and, because of the direction, that doesn't make much waves at Hookipa either.

Not a single ground swell for the north shore on the maps for the next 14 days IS pretty bad news.

We need help from the south shore. Lanai is reading an encouraging 1.5ft @ 13s from 189° (S), but the webcam shows some wicked early morning wind in Lahaina on the right and the flatness of Hookipa on the left.

The trades are back and are here to stay. Below is the two models at the bottom of the windguru page, I personally think that the lower one (HRW 5km) is much more reliable. The top one (NAM 3km) always seems to exaggerate.


Wind map shows the remnant of yesterday's nice NW fetch now in a more NNW to N position. I still believe that storm will send us some fun size waves, Surfline (hence the WW3 model) still doesn't agree.


South Pacific shows a nice fetch running along the east coast of New Zealand.



No comments: