Friday, October 18, 2019

Friday 10 18 19 morning call

A couple of personal announcement to start. First, I'm going to spend Christmas in Italy, so my studio in Kuau and my car are available for rent. December 23 to January 7th. Email me for details.

Second, a cut on my leg got infected and yesterday I had to go seek medical attention. Immediately he put me on antibiotic, which seem to be working. Can't even remember the last time I took medicines, and I'm sure not happy about the devastation that 10 days of antibiotic will create in my gut flora, but in this case it was necessary. I'll be out of the water for a bit, expect the calls not to be as early as usual. There goes my belief that I have a strong immune system...

Yesterday the waves at Hookipa pickup up greatly during the day (something I failed to explicitly predict) and this is my pick of Jimmie Hepp's album of the day.


6am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
1.6ft @ 11s from 199° (SSW)
1.6ft @ 15s from 258° (WSW)

Lanai
1.3ft @ 17s from 229° (SW)                        
1ft @ 12s from 228° (SW)
 
Seems like a mix of SSW and more westerly energy (probably from Hagibis) at the buoys. Whatever it is, the Lahaina webcam shows clean conditions that go from flat to occasionally waves like this. Check it out yourself before going.
 
North shore
NW001
4.9ft @ 12s from 317° (NW)
 
Waimea
3.9ft @ 8s from 16° (NNE)
3.6ft @ 11s from 344° (NNW)
2.7ft @ 15s from 325° (NW)
 
Pauwela
4.8ft @ 8s from 10° (N)
4.2ft @ 12s from 2° (N)
3.2ft @ 16s from 335° (NNW)
 
Plenty energy at the buoys, in addition to smaller period northerly energy from the low N of us, today there's also the predicted longer period NW one from Oct 14, the best day of wave generation from Hagibis. The waves at Hookipa should be at least as big as yesterday, with the addition of some long period better organized NW sets, but the simultaneous presence of the other shorter period northerly energy and the strong easterly trades will make the breaking pattern not particularly clean. There'll be waves, but they'll be rough.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has a fetch in the NW corner and the windswell fetch.


South Pacific has a small fetch in the Tasman Sea and one S one.


Morning sky.

No comments: