Thursday, April 30, 2020

Thursday 4 30 20 morning call

Yesterday I added three more stick-on inserts on my SUP foiling board (there's now 9 total for 3 different disciplines!) and now I have a decent setup for winging. Tested it, worked good. I also made my first 30 yards ever in fakey/toe-side stance (in any sport). So much fun to learn new skills. I remember a windsurfer customer who, talking about new sports, once told me:"Nah, I stick to windsurfing. I never want to be a beginner again in my life!".
Really? I LOVE being a beginner!


4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
0.9ft @ 15s from 182° (S)
0.9ft @ 13s from 178° (S)

Lanai
1.1ft @ 15s from 177° (S)

Small but long period southerly readings at the buoys. Below are the maps of April 22 and 23, that show the possible sources.


Unfortunately the Lahaina webcam doesn't show much, but check it out anyway if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore
NW101
4.1ft @ 10s from 12° (NNE)

Hanalei
3.8ft @ 9s from 335° (NNW)

Waimea
4.7ft @ 8s from 7° (N)
3.4ft @ 11s from 344° (NNW)
3ft @ 9s from 341° (NNW)

Pauwela
5.8ft @ 8s from 8° (N)
4.2ft @ 11s from 332° (NNW)
3ft @ 9s from 334° (NNW)
 
Pretty decent size NNW swell still in the water, I think Maui is getting a bit more than the other islands because this swell is missing us to our NE. Tomorrow there should be another bigger bump. Hookipa should be overhead, but blown out. Waves also down the coast, but you need to find a spot sheltered by the wind.

Wind map at noon (the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


North Pacific fetches map (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner):


South Pacific fetches map (about 7 days travel time from east of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: