Thursday, November 05, 2020

Thursday 11 5 20 morning call

 Another day of great waves on the north shore. Pavillions has been looking pretty good lately.


The Point wasn't too shabby either.

I've been admiring Jackson Bunch's surfing lately. The other day he landed a pretty high air reverse right in front of me, so sick to watch!

Jackson again. I could start a dissertation on how I think the board bottom is concave judging by how the water is flowing off the middle section rail and what that does, but I'll spare you that.
I'm just gonna add that I noticed his board's dimensions by the lifeguard tower... 21.5L!! I was about to paddle out with my new fat 6.0 KT Plate Lunch, which clocks in at 35.5L.
14L of difference felt a bit depressing at first, but then I thought about the 41 years of age difference and felt slightly better.


Please stay inside the buoys or come straight in when the barge is moving in the harbor.

4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
All the buoys are down (probably a computer problem at NOAA), there should be a couple of feet of angular spreading in the water, but, even more than ever today, check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency. I checked it at sunset, there was nothing.

North shore

Below is the Surfline forecast for the next couple of days. I heard that the new NW swell was picking up nicely yesterday at sunset, plus there still a declining NNW one, so I don't think there's going to be any shortage of waves on the north shore today. Without the buoys, the guess on the size of the waves at Hookipa will be wilder than usual, but I'm gonna guess inconsistent (due to the westerly direction) sets in the head and a half to double range from home.

Wind map at noon .The other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


No comments: