Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tuesday 6 27 17 morning call

After two longboard sessions (second one was a 9, knee to waist high with some absolutely perfect sections at one of my favorite break with only another guy out) and a total of 5 hours surfing, yesterday I thought I was completely done when I called my friend Jeff Henderson on the way back from the west side.
"Hi Jeff, are you at the shop? I have a couple of foiling questions for you"
"I will be later, but you should go sailing instead. There's waves on the north in June!"
"Oh, I guess you're right..."

So I did and I added one hour of wave sailing at Hookipa. Not my favorite conditions, but heaps of fun with solid head high waves and the occasional logo high bomb. My shoulders are slightly sore this morning, but I'm up early no matter what and gonna do it all over again. Got to make hey while the sun shines, but with a car loaded of all kind of different toys like this, the sun shines everyday in my sky. Inside: a 9.4 single fin nose rider, a 8.0 longboard, 2 shortboards, 2 sails, boom, mast and a foil. On top: 2 SUP boards and the windfoiling board. Very symbolically, no room for humans other than the driver in this configuration. No need either, I'd add.

One of the exams I studied at the university was called "Ricerca operativa". It dealt with optimizing things. All kind of things. Here's one example: You have a backpack of a certain size and volume and a number of objects of certain shape and you have to pick any number of them to maximize the occupation of the space inside the backpack. I grasped the concepts so naturally that I got the best possible score. I'm good at packing...


Enough auto-celebration, here's one for the ladies. With a body like that, you look cool even when you fall.


Here's one for the guys too.


Still way too windy for quality surfing at sunset, couldn't find a decent shot other than this wipeout in the lip.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore

W
2.3ft @ 11s from 106° (ESE)
2ft @ 15s from 127° (ESE)

SW
2.1ft @ 12s from 105° (ESE)

SE
2.5ft @ 17s from 118° (ESE)

Outer buoys still showing some energy from the south with a mix of different periods. We'll take them. After a week of big waves, this week is going to be knee to waist high in average, but far from flat. And I'll keep driving to Lahaina in search of clean waves. Easy task, as most mornings over there usually offer them. Check the webcams and my beach report for size and conditions.

North shore
N
4.6ft @ 11s from 56° (ENE)

Pauwela
4ft @ 6s from 64° (ENE)
3ft @ 11s from 54° (ENE)
2.5ft @ 9s from 48° (NE)
 
More energy from the NE today, possibly on a slight decrease. The wind at Hookipa is blowing 9(4-14)mph at 4.30am and I'll leave that behind in the dark.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific shows pretty much only the windswell fetch.


South Pacific shows a SSE fetch with a tiny section of 30 knots. Enough to keep the flatness away (in a week).


Morning sky looks good as usual and another stunning day is on its way. The weather has been unreal in June. Even in the middle of the day, it's 86F (30C) and it still doesn't feel hot thanks to the trades. I can't even remember when was the last time I used the AC in my car.


Just watched this video by my favorite human on Earth Dr. Greger. Everytime I wait in line to pay for my groceries, I observe what the other people are buying and what Dr. Greger is saying appears absolutely evident. The public must not know how bad is the stuff they buy and eat, otherwise they wouldn't do that. Or, would they?
 

No comments: