Friday, April 29, 2022

Friday 4 29 22 morning call

Tiny waves at Pavillions yesterday morning.

One of the flattest days on the north shore of the year and yet absolutely epic for foil downwinding of all sorts.


Also great for some baffing (Back-And-Forth-ing), if you're into that.

I posted this in the Facebook Foil Drive owners group. The first four Plus kits were immediately sold to the people at the top of the waiting list. You can call Hi-Tech and ask to be put on the list (then I'll call you back) if you're interested in this new more powerful version. We got some regular kits in stock if you're under 185 pounds.

This is the caption of the post:
This is definitely my favorite position for the battery box (right on top of the leading edge of the mast).
Inspired by Dominic and Oskar and their little boards, this was my first time using my 5.0x26.5x90L wingboard rather than my 5.2x28.5x110L SUP board for a paddle downwinder. Pretty awesome, even though I didn't like the 85 mast as much as the 72 (they're both permanently mounted on the two boards on top of my car and I'm too lazy to swap).
It was also the first time I used the PLUS with the medium battery. 3.5 miles run, I used it quite a bit (at least 10 starts and several touch downs into cheating planing action) and at the end I had 50% left. Couple of more runs and I'll be ready for the small battery.
Btw, I was happy that I could still sit on my butt in front of the box and still be able to motor a few hundred yards off the coast, even though I had to lean back a bit to avoid nose diving. I was extremely tempted to sit on the box, I confess, but I refrained from doing so.
This setup was pretty stable for my 150 pounds to stand on the board (putting my feet straight in the straps) and start moving with the throttle.

Awesome edit of Cash Berzolla ripping at Hookipa.

5am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Barbers

2.3ft at 13s S 190º
0.7ft at 15s SSW 205º

Nice couple of readings at Barbers. Check the Lahaina and Kihei webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
NW101
2.9ft @ 12s from 316° (NW)

Hanalei
1.5ft @ 13s from 321° (NW)

Waimea
1.4ft @ 12s from 314° (NW)

Mokapu

3.6ft @ 8s from 74° (ENE)
3.6ft @ 6s from 83° (E)

New small NW swell took its time to reach us from that fetch that happened on the 24th in the NW corner that I posted yesterday and, why not, will post again below today.


Home guess for Hookipa is for flat to waist in between the small inconsistent NW sets which should be around waist to chest high.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.



Fetches map 
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.

North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific 
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: