Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Wednesday 4 20 22 morning call


Hookipa yesterday afternoon. Photo by Jimmie Hepp from this album.


Plenty winging action at Kanaha.

But also some good old windsurf freestyle.

Prototype n.4 of low drag downwind tail is a lot closer in shape to what I have in mind. I felt it had plenty surface to achieve proper pitch stabilization, but it failed to deliver due to the massive flex of the thin wood. Had it been G10, it could have possibly even been too big.
One thing I learned in my very quick test (waves were pretty fun, so I had to swap to my trusty chopped V200 and go get some), is that a tail with no lift/drag built in it will probably never stabilize the foil as much as one with a symmetrical profile.
Please understand that all I say is purely based on empirical sensations. I'm well aware that I know extremely little about foil design and that this could be a complete non-sense, but I couldn't care less if it works or not.
All I know is that I'm 59 years old and this feels like Lego when I was 4.

4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Barbers
0.6ft at 14s SSW 200ยบ

Check the Lahaina and Kihei webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
NW101
3ft @ 15s from 332° (NNW)

Hanalei

2.5ft @ 11s from 340° (NNW)
2.4ft @ 16s from 306° (WNW)

Waimea

4.3ft @ 10s from 353° (N)
3.3ft @ 7s from 26° (NNE)
1.9ft @ 18s from 309° (WNW)

Mokapu
5.8ft @ 7s from 45° (NE)

New long period NW swell started pretty small at the upstream buoys, and today should slowly rise all day. Below is the Surfline forecast calling for 3ft 16s at sunset. Home guess for Hookipa in the morning is for around chest to head high.




Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map 
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.

North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific 
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: