Saturday, April 16, 2022

Saturday 4 16 22 morning call

Hookipa yesterday morning.


Kanaha yesterday afternoon.

I didn't impress much Robby Naish (in the background) with my first prototype of a downwind tail that I have in mind. I did get a positive comment from Dave Ezzy though who shouted while I was hitting the water:"I like that! Is it gonna work?". "About to find out!" was my reply.

Not only it worked, but the shocking part is that it worked exactly as I expected it. I first went out with the 725 and no tail at all, to experience the extreme sensitivity of the pitch control (or lack of thereof). My stick had a pitch control right in between no tail and proper tail. Had it been wider, it would have been better, but that's the only stick I had found a couple of hours earlier under the house. Next prototype is going to be a spatula or even better a tile trowel. And after that I might have to get a 3D printer or hire someone to continue the prototyping.

6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Barbers
0.6ft at 18s S 190ยบ

New small long period energy at Barbers, likely coming from the fetch indicated in the maps of April 8 through 10 shown below. Should be increasing in the next couple of days, but overall consistency should be low (mostly angular spreading).


Check the Lahaina and Kihei webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore
Hanalei
2.8ft @ 12s from 322° (NW)

Waimea
2.3ft @ 12s from 321° (NW)

Mokapu
5.7ft @ 8s from 72° (ENE)

Small NW energy at the upstream buoys. Together with the ENE windswell, Hookipa should have waves in the waist to head high range.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.



Fetches map 
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.

North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific 
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: