Thursday, October 15, 2015

10 15 15 morning call

As soon as I had a glance to Hookipa yesterday morning (very poor conditions), I escaped to Lahaina side where I scored little waves like this. Hitting the lip has never been easier.



After that, thanks to my knowledge and the buoys readings, I scored a really fun session at an inconsistent but uncrowded Honolua Bay.
You can do the same if you start taking note (either mental or physical) of what size, direction and period works for a spot. Building this kind of knowledge base might seem a daunting task at first, but after a while it becomes almost natural to do that.


Talking about which, here's the buoys readings at 5am
NW
3.8ft @ 11s from 317° (NW)           
3.7ft @ 9s from 23° (NNE)
1.4ft @ 4s from 26° (NNE)

Pauwela
3.6ft @ 9s from 4° (N)
3.5ft @ 11s from 345° (NNW)
2.7ft @ 7s from 17° (NNE)
 
Barbers
2.4ft @ 15s from 189° (S)           
2ft @ 9s from 300° (WNW)
2ft @ 12s from 247° (WSW)
0.6ft @ 6s from 306° (WNW)

NNW swell on the way down, but only temporarily since it's forecasted to pick up again tomorrow. Easy to believe if you think about the NNW fetches I've been circling in the past few days.

Southern hemisphere swell still at a beautiful 2.4f 15s. This is the most consistent south swells summer/fall I can remember.
 
The wind today should be like indicated in the two models at the bottom of the windguru page. This part always feels like a bit of a waste of time for me, since I'm not adding any value at all, but I know a lot of wind addicted people follows the blog and so I'm trying to please everybody.
Once again, I would love if the updated maps from MC2km would be ready at the time I post my call so that we could see how the wind hugs the whole island, but unfortunately most times that's not the case.
 
Wind map shows a N and a NW fetch. The two hurricanes to the very west are not gonna do much for us.
 
Just want to point out that I saw this storm SE of the islands getting considerably bigger in the last few hours. You can check the evolution by clicking on meteo link n.6 on the right.
 
 
Last but not least, here's the clip of a wave at Honolua. Dedicated to all the people that never surfed it. Make an effort, work harder, do what you go to do and come to Maui to ride it. On its days, it's absolutely perfect.

No comments: