Sunday, October 04, 2015

10 4 15 morning call

Epicness all over the island yesterday.

I started the day with a fun surf session at the end of which I wanted to take photos of that wave below. I sat on the rocks and like a total tourist I can sprayed by a big wave. All wet, camera included. I put it in a bag of rice, but I have very low hopes.

Fortunately John Patao was there and he took these two amazing photos of Kai Barger.



After my morning work shift, I drove to what I called possible epic sailing conditions and sure enough it was totally epic. This is a snapshot from a gopro clip I'll post at the end of this call.
As far as wave sailing in Maui goes, that's as smooth as it gets.



The unfatiguable Jimmie Hepp was there and this is a shot of sailor Ferdinando Loffreda that shows:
- the size of some waves
- the incredibly smooth texture of them. I like a comment on facebook:"the wave has goose bumps!".


Let's see what on tap for today.
Buoys.

NW
7.2ft @ 15s from 38° (NE)
4.5ft @ 12s from 39° (NE)
3.9ft @ 10s from 27° (NNE)

Pauwela
5.9ft @ 13s from 9° (N)
5.8ft @ 15s from 10° (N)
4.8ft @ 9s from 15° (NNE)
2.2ft @ 7s from 39° (NE)

Barbers
3.6ft @ 8s from 321° (NW)           
2.1ft @ 11s from 276° (W)
1.4ft @ 15s from 189° (S)

As the NW buoy graph below shows, the swell has peaked, but it's still offering plenty size also today.




That is the MC2km map at 1pm. Most likely more epic sailing but with smaller waves.

 
 Fetches are looking good: north, west and south! That storm SE of us didn't move much yet. This morning I woke up to heavy rain and thunders and I thought that was it, but it was not.


And here's that clip. Only two turns (two lame ones for the pro windsurfers that will watch it), but as I was saying before, water surface as smooth as it gets.






I love the tone of the voice. It's so "I told you so!".
So childish! But mostly fueled by a clear state of happiness of both the mind and the body.

During that short ride, they were one thing. Actually, one thing with the wave also.
And good luck with trying to explain that feeling to someone that doesn't know it.

I just did that by sending an email to my dad. Fortunately, I could also link the clip.
Thank you Gopro. You did a very good job in complementing my words.


1 comment:

(Ben) Jamin Jones said...

Puamana to Lahaina was very nice for the surf / SUP crowd (biggest waves were head high with clean shoulders, epic for us). Glassy waves can be addicting that's for sure.