Monday, October 26, 2015

10 26 15 morning call

Sorry about the late call this morning, I do need to try to be social once in a while otherwise I'll be completely isolated in my surfing bubble. Which, to be honest with you, doesn't feel too bad of a possibility at all.

The waves at Hookipa were clean pretty much all day yesterday and that's why for a change I didn't drive south.
Here's Tatiana Howard on a little gem at the point in a photo by Jimmie Hepp.

The Pauwela buoy at 6am reads
4.3ft @ 12s from 56° (ENE)
3.4ft @ 9s from 64° (ENE)
which means that there will be similar surf from hurricane Olaf also today.

I didn't drive south doesn't mean there were no waves south. As a matter of fact there were and there will be also today since the Barbers point buoy reads
3ft @ 13s from 205° (SSW)           
1.7ft @ 18s from 192° (SSW)
As you can see, there's still 3f 13s from the old swell (that, despite the lack of consistency and the smaller size than what the Barbers buoy would suggest, lasted almost a week!) and 1.7f 18s from a new long period one.
Long period means more amplification when those 1.7f hit the reef, but also more inconsistent than a shorter period one. So a good mix to enjoy a day of surfing on the south shore and the conditions seem to be very clean on the webcam snapshot below.
The one good thing about a late call is that the MC@2km maps are updated. Below is the noon map that shows the onshore sea breeze picking up on the north shore. Should be pretty clean and windless till then.

Wind map still shows a strong WNW fetch, but the NNW one has rapidly changed its direction and is now shooting more at the west coast of the USA.

Surfline still gives it peaking at 12f 16s Tuesday night and lowering to 10f 15s during the day Wednesday. Which happens to be the first day of competition of the upcoming Aloha Classic windsurfing contest.
Pat Caldwell's last Friday's table instead only reports 8f 15s for that day.

Seeing how little the strong NNW fetch lasted, I tend to agree with uncle Pat and call for sailable conditions (wave size wise) for the Pro's. There will be over mast high waves, but what the hell do we call them pro's for?

We'll get back to that in the next days, I did this extra comment so that my friend Sarah can decide if to go to Jaws or wait at Hookipa to see if they send the ladies out.
Sarah, that'll depend on head judge Duncan. But it's not looking double mast high closing out the channel anymore. Cheers.

No comments: