Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Tuesday 3 22 22 morning call

Notice: my phone broke. No more beach reports from the road until I get a new one.

Hookipa yesterday morning.


I spent my day testing and tuning my foils. I shot a bunch of video clips, way too many to edit, so here's just a couple of images. If you see me out there with the Foil Drive and need a tow out, have a 10 dollars bill handy. Randy gets free rides instead, as I know he will crack a few jokes on the way... team rider status!

At the moment, I own 5 Armstrong front wings (plus 4 tails, 2 masts, 2 fuses). My biggest one (HS1550 v2) is pretty much three times bigger than my smallest one (HA525). Foil quivers are expensive, but the variety of discipline and conditions they can cover is incredible.

Hookipa at sunset. Well overhead, as predicted.


4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
No southerly energy at Barbers. Check the Lahaina and Kihei webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore
NW101

9.6ft @ 8s from 25° (NNE)
8.1ft @ 13s from 352° (N)

Hanalei

9.1ft @ 14s from 317° (NW)
6.7ft @ 8s from 346° (NNW)

Waimea

6.8ft @ 15s from 319° (NW)
2.6ft @ 10s from 324° (NW)

Pauwela

5.3ft @ 14s from 324° (NW)
3.5ft @ 9s from 92° (E)

NW swell picked yesterday exactly as predicted. Below are the graphs of NW001 and Pauwela together with yesterday's Surfline forecast. Notice how the last two are remarkably similar. Not sure the prediction is going to be as good today, as Pauwela only reads 5.3ft 14s vs a prediction of 7.1ft 14s. Home guess for Hookipa in the morning is around head and a half. Wave size should increase in the afternoon (with more north in the direction), so should the wind.


Forecast of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.


Wind map at noon
. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map 
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.

North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific 
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: