Monday, August 03, 2020

Monday 8 3 20 morning call

Another wingy day. Here's one of my very first wave rides, dedicated to the two New Caledonians kids Titouan and Clement, who are the ones I first saw doing that (and with me, many others) at Hookipa exactly one year ago. The two videos I took of them are grouped under the label wave wing foiling. That's when I decided I needed to do that trigger finger surgery so that I could do it too. Unfortunately, despite the boom being a lot better than the handles for it, my hand still doesn't like the wing... let's see how it goes.


Trippy shot of Dr. Chris McNeil. On the left, the camera focused on him and you can see all the details of his wing... through the slippers!! Which, as you can see from the shot on the right, are pretty damn solid. How is that possible? I have no idea, I need a proper photographer to explain me that.
Btw, according to the counters, this blog gets an average of about a thousand views a day, but virtually no comments at all. Unfortunately I have to moderate (approve) them (otherwise I get tons of spam) and that usually introduces a delay in the publishing, but if you know how this is possible, don't be shy and let me know.
Btw n.2, Chris is my dentist, he's awesome and I strongly recommend him.


US Coast Guard helicopter Barbers Point still searching for the missing man. I can hear one from  my house also right now as I post this.


Side effect of the many families that are now learning how to wing in the harbor: the kids that are too young for it can learn how to windsurf. Those might need some proper kids beginner gear, but overall, it's a pretty awesome thing what's happening down there.


5am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
2.3ft @ 9s from 170° (S)      
1.3ft @ 11s from 180° (S)       
1.1ft @ 13s from 184° (S)

Lanai
1.8ft @ 13s from 189° (S)

Southerly energy still hanging in there with almost 2ft 13s, unfortunately the Lahaina webcam shows less than that. Check it out yourself if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
3.6ft @ 9s from 35° (NE)      
2.9ft @ 6s from 59° (ENE)
 
Pauwela's graph below shows that it did get close to four feet yesterday. Today with the period down to 9s and no more energy registered by the N buoy, we can still expect some waves at Hookipa, but smaller than yesterday (maybe chest high) and on the decline.


Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).



Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey GP, I used to try to comment on your blog but they'd never post for some reason. I'm trying now from a different google account maybe it'll work.

Regarding your excitement for catching waves, just wait til winter comes and you go out at Ka'a on a 3-4' day with good wind.

Anonymous said...

The camera question - The camera is set to a small f-stop (like f/2.8) which narrows down the depth of field and it is being manually focused.

(Ben) Jamin Jones said...

My camera guess - your camera has an HDR mode that takes several rapid photos then merges them into one coherent photo. Plus the focus was on the wing. iPhones do this kind of thing by default, and the live photo feature also does this if you merge the frames together. It can be a cool effect, similar to this.