Sunday, August 09, 2020

Sunday 8 9 20 morning call

PLEASE don't aggregate into groups of 10 or more and keep social distance at the harbor.

This is how Dave Kalama pulled in the Hi-Tech parking lot yesterday.


Those are mostly SUP/Wing foil boards, plus a few sweet looking longboards. These are the two sizes I have my eyes on: 5.1x29x104L for SUP foiling, 4.6x26 1/2x80L for Wing foiling. Obviously, the bigger one would do both, so I'll probably buy that one first and see if I really need a smaller one...


I got uploadmania these days. Conditions were absolutely epic for downwinders (solid 35 knots), so I went for attempt n.25 of the SUP foiling kind. N.24 sucked because I tried the GL210 and found out I'm not good enough for it yet. So I went back to the GL240 and it still sucked, because I added a 3 inch extension to my 29.5 mast and that introduced a delay in the response of the foil that I didn't quite have the time to get used to. Below is my best little flight. Take off at 50 seconds from the start.

This game is like a puzzle in which the pieces dynamically change their shape as you put them together. So much fun to figure it out!


My good old 5.8 custom Kalama will be replaced soon. It's ironic (and iconic!) that at the end of yesterday's run the only grassy spot where to put it down was next to some free giveaways from Kai Lenny.
FYI, Kai Penny resisted the temptation to grab a salad bowl. Didn't have a signature on it...


4am significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
1.5ft @ 11s from 181° (S)

0.8ft @ 13s from 196° (SSW)

0.6ft @ 18s from 170° (S)

Lanai
1.3ft @ 11s from 198° (SSW)

0.9ft @ 13s from 202° (SSW)

Small readings at the buoys equal small waves in the water. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela
6.1ft @ 8s from 73° (ENE)            

The strong trades pumped some overhead waves into Hookipa yesterday, for the enjoyment of the windsurfers. Probably smaller in the morning, bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon
(the other ones can be found at link n.-2 of GP's meteo websites list in the right column).


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: apparent direct aim, but out of the great circle ray map, so not 100% sure).
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.

No comments: