Tuesday, January 27, 2015

1 27 15 morning call

After wasting some time and gas to go check Honolua yesterday morning, I went back home, watched a Napoli game live online and went sailing at Hookipa.

I give the conditions a 2.5, because of the windswell and the bumps, but I realize that I am an extremely spoiled brat. For any European yesterday it was probably epic and german visitor Michael seems to agree. He also seems to love his new Hot Sails Maui KS3. Photo by Jimmie Hepp.




New swell on the rise today. I like the NW buoy reading a lot: 4f 19s is a beautiful start. I know it's not 20f at 20s like the previous one, but still...
Below is the graps of the NW and the Waimea buoy.
These are the 6am readings of Pauwela and Lanai instead:
Pauwela
3.9ft @ 8s from 56° (ENE)
3.6ft @ 11s from 329° (NW)
2.7ft @ 7s from 61° (ENE)
1.2ft @ 5s from 70° (ENE)

Lanai
2.2ft @ 12s from 264° (W)
0.8ft @ 4s from 159° (SSE)
0.8ft @ 9s from 260° (W)
0.7ft @ 18s from 216° (SW)

The NW shows a direction of 310, which is a lot less west than forecasted, even though the direction seems to have gone more west since it started being recorded. I put red arrows on the graph so you guys can follow.
Nothing at the Pauwela buoy yet, but at the speed 20s waves travel, we are going to see something in the afternoon. Nothing in the morning.

Below is a snip from the NOAA website of the Waimea buoy. As you can see, the new long period swell is not even detectable there. That's why I love the breakdown of all the different swells that Surfline does.
 

So what are we doing today?
A little surfing in the early morning and some windsurfing in the afternoon! A reader pointed out that the Maui County @ 2km website is not dead, it just changed slightly the url. I updated the links, so now we can check their very reliable forecast again!
This is the 3pm map (sorry, I work till 2) and you can see that it's definitely going to be windy.


Have fun in the sun everyone!

No comments: