Sunday, January 04, 2015

1 5 15 morning call

5am main swell buoy readings:

Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's north shore)
7.6ft @ 9s from 342° (NNW)
4.1ft @ 15s from 323° (NW)

West lanai Maui north shore (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's south shore)
5.8ft @ 9s from 270° (W)
1.5ft @ 15s from 299° (WNW)

I'm liking starting the post with a photo/comment about yesterday's conditions, specially when they show that I made a good call... :)

This is a photo from James Flynn of a spot in Kihei, which was evidently going off.



This instead was Hookipa, which was evidently horrible because of the onshore NW wind.


The NW wind got strong enough to allow some sailing on a beach that was sideshore, but I was not interested in that. I did not get in the water at all (can't even remember when was the last time I did that... for sure more than a month ago) and my body hasn't stopped thanking me just yet.
Well, too bad because the rest is about to end!
 
7.6ft @ 9s from 342° (NNW) and 4.1ft @ 15s from 323° (NW) are definitely going to provide some challenging conditions out there with shifty peaks and double up sets (a lot of work), but this morning the wind might be favorable for just enough time to enjoy a surf sesh.
Below in fact is the windguru forecast with highlight on the early morning hours.



And the iWindsurf sensors seem to confirm that lovely offshore at 6.13am.


No idea where the offshore comes from, since the flow is most definitely still from the NW, as the wind map shows below (couple of NW fetches circled in red).
 

I love to understand the reasons behind everything, but in this case I'll think about it in the water...

Have fun in the sun everyone!

No comments: