Friday, January 09, 2015

1 9 15 morning call

5am main swell buoy readings:

NW
3.5ft @ 17s from 311° (NW)
2.6ft @ 13s from 311° (NW)

Maui Pauwela (indicative of what's in the water on Maui's north shore)
4.8ft @ 13s from 347° (NNW)
2.9ft @ 10s from 353° (N)
 
The big swell that pounded the north shore for the last couple of days is going down to more friendly sizes, the early morning wind will be favorable, so I'm calling high crowd advisory for most breaks. Hookipa, for sure.
 
 

As you can see from the buoys, a new one is already on its way. We'll see some sets at sunset time here in Maui. I'm calling 1.4f 18s from 321 at the Pauwela buoy at 6pm tonight...
Of course I have no idea about that, but in case I do get that right, I will immediately claim the status of legend. Actually no, I'll claim the status of Uncle, like Pat Caldwell.
For the ones of you eager to learn more about meteorology and wave forecasting, it is imperative to read uncle Pat's discussion (link 9) usually published on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoon.
   
Just one more thought of thankfulness for this past swell that has been really great, if you knew where to go. Photographer Jason Hall knew (he always does) and here's a stunning pic from yesterday morning.


   
Well, I talked already about today, I guess we're done. Oh yeah, the wind addicted guys...
Windsurfing did happen yesterday. Today, I'll give it a lot less chance. The weather map doesn't look good at all, but the HRW model still give some hope in the late afternoon. The NAM one doesn't. Check what happens today, and try to remember which model was right. Do it every day and at one point you'll know which one is more reliable.
BTW, I have two news for you guys. One bad and one good. But I'll give them to you tomorrow.




Done for the day, got to go surf!!!

Have fun in the sun everyone!

   
PS. All the sources for this post are permanently linked in the links section on the right of this blog.

No comments: