Saturday, May 15, 2021

Saturday 5 15 21 morning call

I owe you guys apologies.
On April 4 this year, I posted this photo with the following introduction: "Facebook memories brought back this picture I posted on April 1st 2013. It's a very popular Maui spot that doesn't often look that good. Try to guess it, I'll post it tomorrow".

I guess I didn't notice the date. Turns out that it was an April's fool that I posted to fool my Facebook friends and that hit me back 8 years later! In fact, I just found the post that revealed the truth: it was Cloudbreak.

Only immediately after that, I realized that Middles could never look like that. Even if a miracle swell happens and gives the wave that perfect of a shape and lenght, the water on the inside would still never look like that. The camera angle is quite improbable too. And, most importantly, if I was lucky enough to be there to witness the miracle, why in the world I wouldn't remember surfing it?!

I do remember the Cloudbreak sessions though. It was my first time there and I was lucky to get it head high the first day, head and a half the second and double overhead the third.

4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
Barbers
3.6ft @ 14s from 184° (S)

Lanai

2.2ft @ 14s from 182° (S)

14s southerly swell continues at the buoys. Check the Lahaina or Kihei webcams if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
Pauwela

3.6ft @ 6s from 61° (ENE)
3.6ft @ 7s from 71° (ENE)
1.4ft @ 11s from 13° (NNE)

Small windswell at Pauwela, Hookipa and the rest of the north shore virtually flat again with only small waves at Pavillions.

Forecast and energy spectrum of Pauwela from this PACIOOS page.


Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


No comments: