Monday, April 01, 2019

Monday 4 1 19 morning call

The funding campaign for the new Lahaina harbor webcam has raised $1060. Thanks a lot and let's keep them coming. I'm gonna start my posts with an update like this until it reaches its goal of $2,000. Please donate to the page, not to me. I have nothing to do with this campaign, other than the fact that I totally support the cause.

Two shortboard sessions for me yesterday. This photo is from the first one which I defined as: slow, crowded (after 7.30am) and beautiful.


In between sessions I went to Hookipa to check out the action. This wave almost made me paddle out, but there were some closeout sets that kept me at bay.

Double overhead plus, pushing triple on this one at the point.

Lots of people surprised by the size. Probably the ones who still check spot specific forecasts expressed in face height. I wasn't surprised instead, because I know what 7ft 17s will do at Hookipa. Start observing the swell height (and period and direction) in the water and the size of the waves at your spot(s) of interest and there less and less surprises.

That dreadful moment in which you just missed one and you realize you're going to get caught by a bigger one behind.


4am significant buoy readings
South shore
Lanai
2.8ft @ 14s from 223° (SW)

Lanai keeps registering some SW energy, which I believe to be the wrap of this pretty westerly NW swell. Whatever it is, hopefully that'll provide Lahaina and Kihei with some waves in the usual knee to waist high range. I would strongly recommend to check the webcams first though, Ala Moana not looking too exciting at first light, but not flat either. Btw, this is not the Fiji swell yet, imo. That should start at a much higher period, probably tomorrow.

North shore
NW101
5.3ft @ 15s from 329° (NW)

Hanalei
5.9ft @ 14s from 308° (WNW)

Waimea
4.4ft @ 15s from 311° (NW)

Pauwela
4.2ft @ 15s from 315° (NW)
3.1ft @ 9s from 44° (NE)
 
From 7ft 17s to 4ft 15s the difference in size will be very noticeable today. Much more friendly, specially at Hookipa (I'll report before 7am), Honolua most likely flat. Below is the graph of NW and Pauwela together with the Surfline forecast. This time I cut out the indication of their guess of the face sizes, let's focus on the offshore swell height, which is one foot higher than what the buoy shows. Models are not perfect, but that's a good approximation.

What counts the most, as usual, are the local winds, which are going to be again ideal in the first hours of light until a thermal onshore will start blowing around 10am and stay up all day (hopefully ligther at sunset). Slight decline in size all day, tomorrow bigger again. We're having a great surfing stretch of waves here.


Wind map at noon. Should be totally calm or even light offshore till the usual 10ish.


The wonderful NW fetches continues, plenty waves also this week.


South Pacific trying too.


Morning sky.

No comments: