Thursday, April 25, 2019

Thursday 4 25 19 morning call

A day of rest for me yesterday, as I was nursing a small knee tweak. Fortunately I was still able to teach and fortunately this morning I seem to be ok. This is the shore break at Makena photographed by blog reader James Dawson. Pretty amazing shot, I love how defined the line of the sand being sucked up the face is. I love everything about it, really. I really appreciate the contribution of all photographers (I can link your website if you need). You can send me your shots of the day via email or facebook. As long as I receive them by 4am the morning after, I will take them into consideration. Thanks!


This is my pick of Jimmie Hepp's gallery of the windsurfing action at Hookipa. The NW bump had up to logo high sets.


3am significant buoy readings
South shore
Barbers
1.8ft @ 12s from 210° (SSW)                        
1.5ft @ 15s from 184° (S)
 
Lanai
1.4ft @ 13s from 182° (S)
1.1ft @ 15s from 182° (S)
 
New 15s pulse of southerly energy is at the local buoys. Here's how Pat Caldwell described what happened: a similar source to the system that made the 4/23 event locally unfolded 4/16-18 with a direct aim of marginal gales and an overall northward shift to the pattern that produced a captured fetch. This should bring in another small pulse building Thursday 4/25 and dropping Friday from 180-190 degrees.
 
Below is the collage of the maps of April 15, 16, 17 and 18 (which I already posted 3 days ago). I have a surf guide customer that agreed to a 5.45am appointment, so I doubt I will have time to post a report before our session, but I'll try to post it after it, around 8.30.

North shore
NW101
7.8ft @ 9s from 50° (NE)

N
7.8ft @ 9s from 50° (NE)

Waimea
4ft @ 10s from 342° (NNW)

Pauwela
4.6ft @ 9s from 51° (ENE)
2ft @ 7s from 71° (ENE)
1.6ft @ 6s from 68° (ENE)

Confusing readings this morning at the buoys. NW showing NE energy and N showing NW energy is a situation that I observed quite a bit this season. It happens when there's nearby fetches. What I do in these cases, is to focus on the closer buoys, but in this instance also those are a bit confusing. Waimea shows 4ft 10s leftovers from the NNW, while Pauwela mostly shows NE energy. There will probably be both in the local Maui waters, but it's not going to be as big as it got yesterday, imo. No time/light/interest to report on the north shore, I think Hookipa will be at least head high.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific has two nicely positioned (not too far away) NW and NNE fetches.


Nothing instead from the south.


Morning sky.


No comments: