Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Wednesday 8 15 18 morning call

A SUP foiling session for me yesterday. No photo of the day, here's some very clean lines at Uluwatu from some years ago. This is the last morning call for a while (possibly a month), as I'm leaving tomorrow for Indonesia. Keep checking the blog, as I will possibly post updates from there.


I buy my ticket at the last minute only when I see the situation represented in the picture below: small stuff for Maui's south shore and good stuff for Indo.


But this time there is a surprise that I hope you guys will enjoy: the north shore is going to come back to life with a couple of proper swells. Below is the wind map predicted for Saturday mid day. The NNW fetch I circled will give life to a swell that Surfline predicts to reach 4.5f 12s from 345 Wednesday and Thursday. Even the Bay might break with that ideal direction, although small.

Then there's tropical storm Lane that will become a major hurricane and should track south of the islands. We all saw what Hector did, so be ready for possible long period waves in Hana and short period ones on the south shore.

Lastly, the tropical depression S of Japan is predicted to follow the red arrow and should end up changing in a wider low in the NW corner around August 24th and send a NW swell 3-4 days after that.


5am significant buoy readings
South shore

Barbers
1.5ft @ 11s from 195° (SSW)
0.5ft @ 20s from 172° (S)

Lanai
1.8ft @ 13s from 188° (S)

South swell down to marginal sizes. The super sensitive Barbers buoy feels half a foot 20s from somewhere, but that won't be noticeable in the water. As a matter of fact, this is the best set I've seen at Ala Moana while writing this call, flat otherwise. I'm not going Lahaina side, but I'm calling it flat to knee high from home.


North shore
Pauwela
3.4ft @ 7s from 57° (ENE)

Tiny stuff at Pauwela, I'm calling Hookipa close to flat too.

Wind map at noon.


North Pacific completely quite at the moment.


South Pacific has a fetch deep south of the Tasman Sea.


Morning sky.

No comments: