Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Wednesday 3 10 21 morning call

Excellent surfing conditions everywhere yesterday, thanks to the rain and the lack of wind. I had a first surf in clear waters and a second one was at Hookipa in semi-brown water. This is the photo I sent to a friend with the intention of motivating him to join me. It actually motivated me too and I got in the water in a hurry... never know how long the glassiness will last in Maui. It was a good move, as around 4.30ish it started blowing onshore a bit and it wasn't quite as good anymore.

Here's a couple of waves of that session.


Btw, at the moment I can only surf, so I decided to sell my modified 6m wing.

4am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.
South shore
No buoy readings this morning, I believe the NOAA server where the data is stored is experiencing some problems.

Check the Lahaina or Kihei webcams if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore
Best thing I can do is to share Pat Caldwell's predictions for today:
3ft 12s from NNE
10ft 9s from ENE

Actually, I can do better than that by adding the collage of the fetch maps of Mar 7 through 9 below. It shows the Gulf of Alaska fetch from where the longer period NNE energy is coming from.


No point at guessing the size of Hookipa without buoy readings, what I can add is that yesterday afternoon some big sets came in and they looked like the Alaska energy. "Solid 4 feet!" yelled one of the few surfers in the lineup. It always crack me up how 4 feet can be associated with double overhead waves without an indication of period and direction, but I just smile at the whole hawaiian scale thing and will keep not using it, not even under torture.
Whatever the size will be (overhead at Hookipa, for sure), what counts most is that the wind will be light, so enjoy the clean conditions, specially in the early morning.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here (click on animation of the 10 meter column).



Fetches map
(circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked) from Windy.
North Pacific
(about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):



South Pacific
(about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):



Morning sky.


No comments: