Saturday, March 04, 2023

Saturday 3 4 23 morning call

About a month ago, I lost my gopro in the water at the end of a downwind run. A week ago a guy called Julian found it and called me to return it. Massive thanks to him and to Tyler, who in the meantime gave me his as a replacement.
In the found camera I had the clips of the second of two downwind runs in which I compared a Armstrong chopped HA525 to my unchopped one. This is the video of the two runs (February 3rd and 4th) I finally put together.


6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Lanai

  • 1.3ft
    , 14s, WSW 240º
  • 2.2ft
    , 8s, S 180º
  • 0.9ft
    , 11s, S 185º

Small southerly energies at Lanai. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.


North shore
NW001

  • 6.9ft
    , 10s, E 90º
  • 3.9ft
    , 6s, E 95º
  • 1.3ft
    , 12s, NW 325º

Mokapu

  • 6.5ft
    , 10s, E 90º
  • 4.1ft
    , 6s, ENE 75º
  • 0.6ft
    , 13s, NNE 20º

Small NW swell shows minimal energy at the NW buoy, and will be declining all day. Easterly windswell is still up to 6.5ft 10s at Mokapu, but that too is destined to decline, thanks to the fact that one of the most long lasting periods of brutally strong easterlies I can remember ends today.
Home guess for Hookipa is around head high and possibly semi-clean, or at least cleaner that it's been for weeks. Bigger on eastern exposures.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: