Sunday, March 05, 2023

Sunday 3 5 23 morning call

Jason Toth (foreground) is another Foil Drive user who, like Jim Bones (background), uses it in e-foil mode to go back out. He's experimenting with placing the battery box in a backpack thanks to a modification of the cable that requires some knowledge of electronics (which he has, as he builds large drones).
He inspired me to buy a large fanny pack on Amazon and try that myself, but leaving the cable as it is and making sure to use a leash that is well shorter than it.

He's also letting me try some Unifoil gear, which I'm intensely doing these days.
Message to all the foil brands: please get in touch with me if you'd like to have your gear evaluated for possibly carrying it at Hi-Tech. In fact I've become their de facto foil tester, as I have a lot of time on my hands and 6 years of foiling experience.
For me trying new foil gear is half of the fun of foiling, plus the more stuff I try the more I learn about foils. Cheers Jason.


Hookipa yesterday afternoon.

This satellite image shows a massive front that takes the whole length of the Pacific Ocean and is approaching Kauai. The front will be responsible of the change of the wind patters that is about to happen.

Change that is reflected in the Windguru forecast below.

6am Surfline significant buoy readings and discussion.

South shore
Lanai

  • 1.6ft
    , 13s, SSW 205º
  • 1.1ft
    , 10s, SSW 195º
  • 1.1ft
    , 8s, S 180º

Small southerly energies at Lanai. Check the Lahaina webcam if interested, for size, conditions and consistency.

North shore

Mokapu

  • 4.8ft
    , 10s, E 85º
  • 2.8ft
    , 7s, NE 55º

Nothing but declining easterly windswell at the few leftover buoys. Home guess for Hookipa is chest to shoulder high and clean thanks to the lack of wind.

Wind map at noon. The other ones can be found here.


Fetches map (circles legend: red: direct aim, blue: angular spreading, black: blocked, yellow: possibly over the ice sheet) from Windy.
North Pacific (about 4 days travel time from the NW corner of the North Pacific):


South Pacific (about 7 days travel time from east/west of New Zealand):


Morning sky.


No comments: