Thursday, March 12, 2015

3 12 15 morning call

 
 Fantastic day of surfing also yesterday. Sorry, don't mean to make anybody who didn't score good waves feel bad, but I have to truthfully report what I did.

Early morning session was great and I mentioned that already on yesterday's late call. Mid morning session was even better, since the wind was blowing light kona and we all know how much the north shore waves like that.
Two people out in a spot that doesn't get surfed much when it rains and perfect (and I mean perfect) shoulder high peeling waves. 3-4 turns average per wave.
I didn't take photos of it, but I have a photo from the 2 people only session of the day before (I'm getting spoiled!). This is my friend Nicola and that is an example of the waves we shared by ourselves for an hour before someone else paddled out.




Today it's gonna be pretty shitty instead. The waves will be small and going down all day. Pauwela reads:
4.0ft @ 9s from 30° (NNE)
1.2ft @ 13s from 350° (N)
0.1ft @ 16s from 339° (NNW)
That 0.1f 16s incredibly registered might make you hope that the new large NNW swell might pick up during the afternoon, but I don't see any sign of it at the NW or Waimea buoys so I would not put a penny on it. For Maui it's more like tomorrow.
Plus there's not much to be excited about when the wind is forecasted to be onshore all day.
This is the 7am map from MC2KM and it looks pretty grim.
Fortunately other models call for the onshores to arrive a little later in the morning. In other words, despite the small size, your only option for a decent surf on the north shore today is... right now!
 
 
Still clouds, still rain. That's a big ass front that is passing over us.
 
That's the rain at 6.15am.
 
And that's the wind map that shows some fetches and the hurricane that is now very close to New Caledonia. For discussion on it, please read the post I did late morning yesterday. It's the one right below this.
 
Gonna go catch some. Expect a photo report soon.

No comments: