Friday, March 20, 2015

3 20 15 morning call

Yesterday's recap: amazing surf session in the morning (I gave it a 9) with glassy clean waves till around 8. After that, more onshore than usual trades picked up and ruined the waves.
The afternoon saw some windsurfing action, the slog and surf kind. It's my favorite, but only if the wind is side or sideoff. Slog and surf onshore is pretty horrible and that's how it looked when I ate my lunch at Hookipa (I did post an update).

The only one able to pull some serious maneuvers in that time frame was Brawsinho, who is here pictured in a photo by Jimmie Hepp.
I did sail in the late afternoon, but the wind was still too onshore to be decent. Told you, I'm demanding.

At 8am Pauwela reads:
3.6ft @ 11s from 332° (NNW)
3.3ft @ 7s from 354° (N)
1.5ft @ 5s from 36° (NE)

and, as shown in the report from the beach below this post, the early morning had a fair deal of morning sickness on it. When I left it looked a bit better, but as you can see from the readings, the windswell is on it and there's nothing you can do about it (other than going to Honolua, which I believe is going to be very small).
Below is the noon map from MC2km and it shows some pink (15-20 knots), so Hookipa will be packed with windsurfers. Many pros are already here for the photoshoot season.
Fun to watch, not so much to sail.


Wind map below shows the NW fetch now shooting NE of us. Waves will be bigger in the weekend (the fetch looked pretty good the past few days), but getting smaller after that until Thursday when Surfline is calling for a 6f 12s NW swell out of a fetch that is not on the maps yet.
Also the fetch down south has moved and today is going to be the last day of wave generation (thanks to the angular spreading) for Hawaii.


 

No comments: